What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Gaming Build?

LegendofJubei

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$5,000 max.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

None.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

N/A

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Yes.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Overclocking.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Within the next 30 days.

Hoping you can help me out with advice for this new build :biggrin:. I've tried to compile something that I think should work. Here are the components so far:

Case: Coolermaster CM Stacker 830 Evo
Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
RAM: Mushkin Ascent PC2-8500 4GB DDR2-1066
Video Card: HD 4870 X2
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203N
Hard Drive: Western Digital Velociraptor
PSU: Silverstone Strider 850W Modular
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Black Edition
Heatsink Fans: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F x2
Sound Card: Xtremegamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Speakers: Logitech Z5500
Mouse: Logitech G9
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30IN
Thermal Paste: Arctic Cooling MX-2
Other: AeroCool Silver Lightning 120mm x4 (three for side panel/1 for top of case). Apparently the top left fan needs to be removed on the side panel for a tower heatsink.

Total price comes to around $4,334 without any price matching.

I don't know if I am fully happy with this build or not. I'm sure I messed up alot of the parts and could do better? That's where you all come in with your knowledge :thumb:. I'm feeling some of the weak links at the moment may be the CPU/Mobo/Ram. Maybe it would be better to go quad core/ASUS Rampage Extreme X48 mobo/ddr3 ram? I'm sure I could still fit within the price range with a few upgrades/part swaps?

Thanks for any input! :clap:

cwestwell

wow that is some serious $$$ to spend in one bang but there is definitely some nice parts there. I would maybe get a smaller monitor a 24" or 27" inch the price jump to 30" is so huge however a good monitor is always a good long term investment but I think a 27" would be more then enough and you would save $600 to $800 thats another 4870X2 if you want mad GPU power or a ASUS Rampage Extreme but if you are not going to Water cool then its a waste. So maybe spend the difference on a good Water Cooling setup and an awesome MB.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
If it's a pure gaming PC, duo's outperform quads in most current games due to the higher clock speed. Grab a E8400 or E8500 and save yourself a couple hundred dollars, they'll clock to 4.0 GHZ easily. Now you can probably put the Rampage in the budget. And some LN2.

Wish I had 5k to blow on a computer. Good luck with your build:thumb:

Dashock

Yes you are spending some serious cash my man if your going to spend that much id suggest you wait for the I7 i mean you obviously have the money and itll cost just the same. P.s the 8600 is not worth the price wait for a price drop.