What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Gaming Mouse

Urotsukidoji

Hello, getting a new rig, and thinking of a new mouse. I currently still use (and love) the Logitech G9X. I use it for both my work PC and my gaming/personal PC.
Both still work, but both look like they have been through a war, so was thinking of something new, maybe with a little razzle dazzle. I play FPS pretty much exclusively (Doom, games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and then back to Doom), and still love the GX9, so something close would be great, and I would not say no to some back-lighting either. I tend to like wired mice better. Contenders I have come up with are:

Logitech G502 Hero
(but lots of reported double click issues)

Razer Basilisk
(but I hear of people having issues with the wheel)

Corsair Nightsword

So any old GX9 fans out there? If so, what did you move to?

GeezerGamer

Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless is a fine specimen!
I like it!
It murders the Demons in Doom Eternal real good.
I've been wireless for a long time. I could never go back to wired!

$.02

Soultribunal

Staff member
Hello, getting a new rig, and thinking of a new mouse. I currently still use (and love) the Logitech G9X. I use it for both my work PC and my gaming/personal PC.
Both still work, but both look like they have been through a war, so was thinking of something new, maybe with a little razzle dazzle. I play FPS pretty much exclusively (Doom, games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and then back to Doom), and still love the GX9, so something close would be great, and I would not say no to some back-lighting either. I tend to like wired mice better. Contenders I have come up with are:

Logitech G502 Hero
(but lots of reported double click issues)

Razer Basilisk
(but I hear of people having issues with the wheel)

Corsair Nightsword

So any old GX9 fans out there? If so, what did you move to?

I think with most mice you'll see some complaints or issues. That being said, the G502's are solid. I have an original Proteus Core that I still use (I think its over 8 years old now). I love them, and a few of my techs in house use them with great success (No reported issues).

I've also been a real fan of Razer lately. I have a Viper Mini and its lightweight and very responsive.

-ST

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I use G502's at work, and at home when I'm working remotely. But when I'm gaming, I switched to a Coolermaster MM711. I'm loving the lightweight mouse for longer sessions.

Vittra

I used a regular G9 and the Alienware Tactx. I can't quite recall what I switched to after that, possibly the G400 for quite some time. For many years my Mionix Castor and subsequently G305 have been my mains, and I rotate through various mice for FPS - currently the GPX, M42, Viper Mini.

At any rate, hand size and preferred grip type play a role into mouse recommendations. The G9/G9X was a pretty small mouse though, and the recent push from 2020 through to 2021 has been light, ambidex mice. Depending on how you used your G9x, it may fall into this category. Some people used them without the grips and without weights, putting it around ~86g and very small.

Physical size of mice will vary on the list. The top contenders from mainstream brands + one outlier in the space will be listed below. Since you mentioned FPS, this list skews heavily towards that, and most options also assume some form of fingertip, claw, or relaxed claw grip, and a weight less than 100g.

All Razer mice on this list are optical switches - as is the Roccat Burst Pro - and will not double click. Some people have noted a mushy feeling from v1 optical switches on Razer mice, largely - but not completely - rectified on V2 switches.

Reliability in general isn't considered on the list - these are input devices and see heavy use. Actual sensor is ignored - everything on this list is sufficient for esports play, so who are we as mere mortals to worry about such things.

If you want more info on any of these mice, I highly recommend RocketJumpNinja's youtube vids along with his actual website and ranking order - but also check out Dmitry's HWC vids, Brandon Taylor, Badseed Tech, and Too Much Tech. OptimumTech is good for mice reviews but Ali doesn't do them as often as the rest. All excellent reviewers with their own perspective and preferences which help form a total picture.

Ambi Wired:

Coolermaster MM711/712 (small size, 53g/58g) - Great, but pricing is too high in current market in Canada, I've seen it as low as 55 CAD in the past.

G203 Lightsync (small size, 85g) - latest version of the G203 prodigy/G Pro wired shape. This shape is a personal favourite. It's been as low as $19.99 CAD which is absurd.

Roccat Burst Pro (medium size, 68g) - Excellent. Clever side textured plastic for grip. Optical switches as mentioned. Some people don't like how stiff these switches feel to press - I liked it.

Viper (medium size - 69g) - Excellent, especially on sale, as low as 29.99 USD / $39.99 CAD. Replaced by the Viper 8K at the original MSRP.

Viper Mini (small size - 61g) - I prefer this mouse over the Viper/Viper Ultimate. Excellent mouse for the price - unbeatable when on sale - as low as $29.99 USD / 39.99 CAD. Some people have issues with the higher than average LOD of this particular sensor.

Xtrfy M42 (small size - 59g) - unique feature mention - replaceable back piece to change the curvature of mouse to suit more hand types and grip preference. I love this mouse, but there's a strong negative - I never really cared one way or another about the feel of braided cables until this one - I hate it, even with a mouse bungee it is annoying. First time I've considered a paracord mod. Driverless mouse, most features you need are a button combo or switch on the bottom. I don't like RGB, but this stands out. It's really well done.

Ambi Ergo Wired:

Coolermaster MM720 (small size, 49g) - Oldschool Xornet shape, really weird but worth a look. Opposite of above M42, this is the gold standard of flexibility in a mouse cable

Glorious Model D (medium size, 68g)

Glorious Model D Minus (small size, 61g)

Razer Basilisk v2 (medium, 92g)

Xtrfy M4 (medium size - 69g) - Ergo design, bigger (and older) than the M42. Driverless mouse, most features you need are a button combo or switch on the bottom. I really liked this mouse a lot, but M42 suited me overall better. Again - I don't like RGB, but this stands out. It's really well done, I'd leave it on for this mouse.

Ambi Wireless:

G Pro Wireless (medium size, 80g) - Excellent, but as a new purchase it makes no sense over the GPX Superlight unless heavily discounted.

G Pro X Superlight (medium size, 60g) - Nearly identical shape to the G Pro Wireless, there's a subtle ridge on the right side. This feels like nothing is in your hand. It's bizarre and wonderful, but ridiculously overpriced and often OOS as people fall over themselves to get it - won't be on sale anytime soon.

G305 (small size, 99g, ~86g with AAA/adapter) - Wireless version G203/G Pro wired. Shape as mentioned is a personal favourite. Feels tail heavy though, the AAA+adapter helps a lot. Also considered a value king especially on sale, and as a side note the PCB is the basis of a lot of custom and modified wireless designs.

Glorious Model O Wireless (medium size, 69g) - Value king within the mainstream options and great within it's own right.

Viper Ultimate (medium size 74g black, 78g other colours) - Excellent. Be wary of old stock with V1 switches if purchasing the Black version. I didn't have this issue with mine. Coloured versions don't seem to be affected, regardless of White, Pink, or Cyberprank.

Ergo Wireless:

Deathadder Pro V2 (large, 85g)

The Ergo Wireless category is largely dominated by brands outside of mainstream when considering mice below 100g. The Basilisk Wireless and G502 Wireless are good options but don't make this list as such.

Edit - cut out a piece I didn't mean to. My favourite mouse I've tried lately was the Endgame Gear XM1r - but software hasn't been released for it yet (?!), and it isn't a mainstream brand so it does not make the list. Wanted to keep the out of the norm recommendations to just Xtrfy. The XM1r had my favourite switches to date (Kailh 8.0) and mousewheel click/wheel feel, and also an excellent flexible cord on par with MM720. It does have polling and CPI adjustments without the drivers. Didn't suit my hand though unfortunately, I am hoping they have plans to release a smaller version of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter