What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New gaming PC build, upgrading/replacing Intel i5 2500K

iSimple

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

The PC will be all around use if possible. I would be gaming preferably in 1440P but i can play in 1080.
I will be overclocking this board with an air cooler.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Budget is around approx. $2000CAD all in (The less the better of course)

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from?

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

I use to be an Intel-Fanboy.
But this time round i will be choosing an AMD build. I have already purchased the CPU which is 5600X
As for GPU im open to options (I may reuse my old GPU due to the GPU markups at the moment)

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Will be reusing my Ducky Mechanical keyboard, Logitech Mouse and my storage drives
(Should i reuse my MX500 SSD? or just get a NVME

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I have searched and read threads but would like more opinion's

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

YES i will be overclocking the system on a AIR cooler

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

ASAP if parts are in stock
(Already have the CPU and PSU purchased)

AMD 5600X and Corsair 750W already been purchased

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

2560x1440 @ 60Hz
QX2710LED (Korean 27" IPS)

Current build is:

Intel 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
8GB GSkill PC3-12800
Corsair H100
Asus 7970 8GB
Corsair HX750
Corsair 800D

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

No, im open to options as i have mentioned above.
I DONT care about RGB things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently eying on these items and hoping someone go give any advice

AMD 5600X (purchased)
Gigabtye AORUS PRO V2
Noctua NH-U12S or D15
Corsair 16GB 3600Mz RAM
Unknown GFX card
Corsair 400D (might change this later)
Corsair 750 W (Purchase)

Thanks for reading

sswilson

Staff member
The one thing I'd recommend if you want to squeeze the best performance out of your Ryzen is that you consider a 2X16 GB set of memory in order to get dual rank sticks ( for 4 total ranks). You've got to do your homework though as some companies (Crucial.... cough, cough... ) have started swapping the memory in their 16GB sticks with single rank products.

I just went through this and can confirm that as of a few weeks ago, the XPG D50 32GB 3600 kits on Amazon were dual rank, but it looks like they only have the white version ATM

geokilla

I recommend skipping the Gigabyte motherboards and getting the ASUS B550-F Gaming, especially since Gigabyte isn't on anywhere close to the latest AGESA firmware. If you price match and add the $15 coupon, you can save about $35 on the motherboard. That'll be enough for you to get some DDR3600 RAM instead of DDR3200 RAM.

Definitely get a NVME drive. Western Digital Blue 1TB NVME is currently $135 at Newegg.

iSimple

The one thing I'd recommend if you want to squeeze the best performance out of your Ryzen is that you consider a 2X16 GB set of memory in order to get dual rank sticks ( for 4 total ranks). You've got to do your homework though as some companies (Crucial.... cough, cough... ) have started swapping the memory in their 16GB sticks with single rank products.

I just went through this and can confirm that as of a few weeks ago, the XPG D50 32GB 3600 kits on Amazon were dual rank, but it looks like they only have the white version ATM

If they mark it as DUAL Channel is that the same as DUAL RANK?

I know HWC made a video regarding memory for Ryzen.

For example this kit is listed as Dual Channel but reviewers in the section said its "dual rank"

0d8ec4fea0cf452eaea15b21a6e11fca[1].jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Dual channel is not the same as dual rank. On the first screen it shows what the memory is running at which includes the information that you've got at least 2 sticks running in dual channel mode (depending on your motherboard's configuration that would most likely mean filling slots 1+3 or 2+4 ), the second screen is information pulled from the firmware of the memory stick itself and shows that it's dual "rank".

Typically a stick with memory on both sides will be dual rank, and if the chips are only on one it'll be single rank, but I'm not sure that still holds true, and as I alluded to in my previous post, you can't even go by reviews as some of the companies are swapping out the chips they use.

It's not a complete game changer, but testing has pointed toward wanting 4 ranks total, so either 2 16GB dual rank sticks, or 4 8GB single rank sticks.

Shadowmeph

I am interested in what your complete build finally will end up being . I have the budget gaming build bug I get it pretty much every year this year might end up scratching that bug

sswilson

Staff member
And yeah, those Ripjaws were on my shortlist when I was looking for 3600 DR sticks. :) (I see newegg lumps all of their different sku reviews into the same list... most of those reviews are for 3200 sets).

edit: as per my previous comment, the screenshot isn't from the kit you linked to, the ones in the screenshot are CL16, and the ones you linked to are CL18.

The D50s I linked to are CL18, but they're Micron E so I had no problems bumping them up to CL16.

Last edited:

iSimple

And yeah, those Ripjaws were on my shortlist when I was looking for 3600 DR sticks. :) (I see newegg lumps all of their different sku reviews into the same list... most of those reviews are for 3200 sets).

edit: as per my previous comment, the screenshot isn't from the kit you linked to, the ones in the screenshot are CL16, and the ones you linked to are CL18.

The D50s I linked to are CL18, but they're Micron E so I had no problems bumping them up to CL16.
I suppose this same kit in grey?

Any suggestions or opinions on my motherboard? As it seems hard to get v2 in North America for some reason.

sswilson

Staff member
I suppose this same kit in grey?

Any suggestions or opinions on my motherboard? As it seems hard to get v2 in North America for some reason.

That looks to be the same kit I ordered.

As far as motherboards go.... I went with the MSI B550 Tomahawk based on some pretty good reviews on the power side of things and have been happy with it so far (It's on sale at Canada Computers ATM... :) https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1832_1833&item_id=169632 ).

Latest posts

Twitter