What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New "Gaming" Rig To Replace Ivy Bridge

geokilla

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Playing through my Steam library that I got when games are on sale at 1080P and eventually 1440P with a 144Hz monitor. The most graphic intensive game I have is probably Metro 2033 Redux? If it can last 7 years like my Ivy Bridge set up, eventually 4K I guess? That's probably more GPU bound than CPU bound though, even 7 years later.

I mostly play SC2 and CS:GO and will be streaming via OBS simultaneously. Not a professional streamer, just do it for fun. Though I mostly just browse the Internet, watch anime, and will do some occasional video and photo editing once I learn how.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1,500 not including taxes.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from?

Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Fanboys are for noobs. Flame suit on! banana Lol but really, no fan boy here.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

Peripherals will be reused. Need a new mechanical keyboard though as it's dying. Some keys are doubling when I hit it once.

Will also be reusing my ASUS RX570 4GB because I can't justify paying more than MSRP for a GPU. Will also reuse a WD Red 3TB for data storage on my computer, and have a 14TB HDD that I have yet to open. Probably gonna set that up in NAS on my ASUS RT-AC66U B1 with Merlin. I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 lying around. Just have to get a mounting bracket from Noctua.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Intel Core i5-10600K or Core i7-10700K or Core i9-10850K will be my CPU choice, only because the prices for AMD CPUs are ridiculous right now if I go with the build. Can't find a Zen 3 CPU anywhere.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Will overclock.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Within next 2 weeks if I pull the trigger. If I don't, then I'll make another thread in the future.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

Currently 1080P @ 75Hz.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

RGB case fans and a good quality case.

----------

Currently thinking of the following parts if I pull the trigger.

Intel Core i7-10700K for $490 shipped from B&H Photo Video. 10850K is $600 shipped.
ASUS ROG Z490-A for $260
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3200 CL16 - $90
Western Digital Blue SN550 1TB - $145
Corsair RM850x - $160
Reuse ASUS RX570 4GB
Reuse WD Red 3TB
Need RGB case.

Total is $1,145 + tax for 10700K before case and future GPU. $1,255+ tax for 10850K. Possibly be able to sell my rig in sig less the parts being reused for about $300?
Need new mechanical keyboard. Currently using CM Storm Quick Fire Cherry Blue.

JD

Staff member

moocow

Can Intel take advantage of 3600 MHz RAM? Also, if you're strictly gaming, go for i5-10600K since it's barely slower than a i9-10900K in games. Why pay the 55% to 60% premium for 10 more frames? Adobe apps are more frequency bias than thread bias so adding more threads to Adobe workloads doesn't seem to make sense. However, if you are planning on doing some productivity work then you may need to do more research.

Bond007

I understand your frustrations with cpu availability, but you asked about keeping the system for a LONG time. I think it is probably in your best interest to have pcie 4.0 for storage and Graphics if that is your goal. While it doesn’t make a huge difference right now, I would assume within the next few years it will. Also, you are looking at getting close to the the top CPU the socket can accept, vice if you went amd 5600X (for example), it can do everything you want and need for now, but have the option of substantially upgrading the processor down the road if you ever need.

food for thought.

geokilla

Both Intel and AMD are dead end platforms so there's no more upgrades to be had. I wouldn't pay to upgrade from a 6 core to a 8 or 10 core CPU in the future either, so I either spend the extra money now, or I don't.

I don't think I'll need PCI-E 4.0 for storage and GPU either. NVME drives are plenty fast right now and in terms of gaming, whether the games are stored on HDD or SSD makes little difference. Someone did suggest getting 2X16GB instead while DDR4 is cheap. Makes sense.

What case would you guys suggest? Best Buy has the Corsair 4000D Airflow for $95 but it's not RGB. I know Ibir (did I spell it right?) likes the Phantek P400A too. None of them are RGB though so maybe I should pay more so it comes with the standard RGB fans instead of having to swap them out?

clshades

If the mobo has addressable RGB headers just add the fans later? You're gonna pay more for rgb pre-installed anyway right?

Last edited:

geokilla

If the mobo has addressable RGB headers just add the fans later? You're gonna pay more for rgb pre-installed anyway right?
I came across the Corsair iCUE 220T RGB for $110. Seems decent? Reviews are pretty positive on Amazon. Have yet to watch the Gamers Nexus review.

sswilson

Staff member
220T RGB you say???? ;)