What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New "Gaming" Rig To Replace Ivy Bridge

moocow

If you're really going to stream, then i7 because it's only $30 more than i5-10600K. People said 11th gen will be compatible with LGA1200 so your Z490 should be able to support it when it does come out later in the year. Could potentially just use a 10400F for now and then upgrade later.

Take with grains of salt:

geokilla

I spent more time researching today and it seems like modern games are more CPU bound than ever before, even when gaming at 1440P? This Redditor claims his FPS in Warzone increased by as much as 50%. Some are saying same thing about Cyberpunk. Also it appears the Hardware Unboxed test results are flawed too since they deliberately chose games that are not very CPU intensive?

Also any mechanical keyboard recommendations? Thinking of going some sort of brown switch keyboards since blue is pretty loud.

Lysrin

Also any mechanical keyboard recommendations? Thinking of going some sort of brown switch keyboards since blue is pretty loud.
Browns are my favourite switches of the Cherry MX ones I've tried. Haven't tried a lot of other brands.

I've been very happy with my Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S RGB. It's TKL but they have full size versions too and newer models.

Drop (formerly MassDrop) has some very nice keyboards too, as does Logitech now, but suggestions are really going to depend on what your keyboard budget is.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I like brown switches over reds. MX-Speeds are very similar too, if you're looking at Corsair keyboards.

geokilla

I pulled the trigger. Bought the 10600KF off AliExpress for 10600KF for $246 + tax (no taxes on AliExpress so I just did the math) and ASUS PRIME Z490-A from Staples for $255 + tax.

Then I realized yesterday I can get the 3600 and ASUS B550-F Gaming for $90 less, again with the CPU coming from AliExpress. If I pair it with the B450-F Gaming, I save an extra $50 on top of that. All this research and indecision, and I failed at the simplest things lol. Time to get rid of the 10600KF and buy the 3600.

Last edited:

geokilla

I'm trying to hook up the ATX cable of my RM650x to the motherboard but I can't get the damn housing through the cable management gaps in my P360A. How the hell do I push it through so there's slack?

I had to do it the other way by running the end that connects the PSU through the case.

Last edited:

Lysrin

I'm trying to hook up the ATX cable of my RM650x to the motherboard but I can't get the damn housing through the cable management gaps in my P360A. How the hell do I push it through so there's slack?

I had to do it the other way by running the end that connects the PSU through the case.
Any chance of a pic of what you're trying to do? Not sure I understand what you mean.

geokilla

Nah it's fine I got it. But now I'm trying to mount my GPU and the screw holes don't line up to the screw holes of my case. I tried pushing the motherboard but the rear IO already sitting flush. I think my case is defective?

Seems like it's a GPU issue. The case works with my sister's GTX 1660S but not my 7950. GPU is too old.

Now it looks like I have a dead motherboard? I turn on the system and everything comes alive for literally one second then it shuts off. Then it bootlops. I confirmed my CPU works as it POSTS in my other computer. I confirmed the PSU works even though it makes a click noise when I turn it off cus I plugged in my PSU off my Ivy Bridge build and it does the same thing.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 11.25.52 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 11.25.52 AM.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: