What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New GPU3/Fermi Projects P6800+P6811

chrisk

Folding Captain
I had that problem for a bit but I'm not sure which of the changes I made actually fixed it, sometimes I'm too impatient...:whistle:

It was one or all of the following;

Upgrading to the 6.40r1 client.
Removing the " -forcegpu nvidia_fermi" flag.
Removing SLI.
Setting the 2d clocks to be the same as the 3d in Afterburner.

One of the above also cured the downclocking issue I was having...
Some folks over at the folding forums are reporting issues with their 450s and the 6811 WUs. Too early yet to determine anything for certain, but I would certainly take the advmethods flag off if you have a 450 (but finish the WU if you can).

LCB001

someone refresh my mind what having the cards in sli or unpaired does to folding #/stability/etc pretty please :)
IIRC it's not supposed to make any difference but I allways seem to get better stability without SLI...

Xeven

I hope my 460 EE's don't take a giant crap because of heat. :shok: They run much hotter as it is.

Last edited:

ADay2Long

Was about to say, watch your 460s, mine had a 20+ C increase!

The 460 is in my room so it's off for now until they can fix this.

Also, having taken off the -adv flag I still get the new WUs :doh:

geokilla

Holy cow the temps on my 460s are pushing mid 70s! (usually a good 20c lower before....)
Looks like they're finally making good use of the additional CUDA cores higher end that NVIDA GPUs have. I can understand why many are being negative and disappointed with this move, but I approve of it. Makes Folding a lot more fair because before, all you needed was raw core and shader speeds on the lower/mainstream GPUs to compete with the higher end GPUs in terms of PPD. Now, if you want the points, sacrifices have to be made.

Plus, [email protected] is about the research that we participate in, not about the points.

Xeven

Hmm... spending 5000 dollars on rigs with a bunch of 450s/460s isn't sacrifice enough I guess.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Looks like they're finally making good use of the additional CUDA cores higher end that NVIDA GPUs have. I can understand why many are being negative and disappointed with this move, but I approve of it. Makes Folding a lot more fair because before, all you needed was raw core and shader speeds on the lower/mainstream GPUs to compete with the higher end GPUs in terms of PPD. Now, if you want the points, sacrifices have to be made.

Plus, [email protected] is about the research that we participate in, not about the points.
At the end of the day I think that what you say is correct Geo. They are making use of the heavy duty power that the GPU's have to do their science , abiet there will be a loss of points. So long as it gets them one step closer to their goal...

ST