What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New GTX 780 Ti no video signal, need help!

Derelict77

OK, ATI drivers are again gone but I don't seem to have the same exact option as the guru thread talks about, on the latest BIOS there is no option to Force UEFI ROM or Force Compatible ROM.

There are two lines relating to ROM:
PCI ROM Priority: Legacy ROM or EFI Compatible ROM (this is currently set to Legacy ROM)
Option ROM Messages: Force BIOS or Keep Current (set to Force BIOS)

Secure Boot on the other hand I cannot find any mention of and googling it makes it sound like a windows 8 feature only?

As for integrated graphics there is indeed no video output on the motherboard itself. In the BIOS there is an option under Graphic Configuration for Primary Display with the options Auto, PCIE or PCI. I have set this to PCIE when the 5830 is installed. Once I put in the 780 and get no signal, then swap the 5830 back in and finally return to the BIOS, this setting is now back to Auto. I wonder if that is part of the problem?

enaberif

OK, ATI drivers are again gone but I don't seem to have the same exact option as the guru thread talks about, on the latest BIOS there is no option to Force UEFI ROM or Force Compatible ROM.

There are two lines relating to ROM:
PCI ROM Priority: Legacy ROM or EFI Compatible ROM (this is currently set to Legacy ROM)
Option ROM Messages: Force BIOS or Keep Current (set to Force BIOS)

Secure Boot on the other hand I cannot find any mention of and googling it makes it sound like a windows 8 feature only?

As for integrated graphics there is indeed no video output on the motherboard itself. In the BIOS there is an option under Graphic Configuration for Primary Display with the options Auto, PCIE or PCI. I have set this to PCIE when the 5830 is installed. Once I put in the 780 and get no signal, then swap the 5830 back in and finally return to the BIOS, this setting is now back to Auto. I wonder if that is part of the problem?
Go into your BIOS and under "Advanced" will be an option that says "System Agent Configuration" and within that area you will an option for "iGPU Initiation" turn this off.

Derelict77

And make sure the "Initiate Graphics Adapter" is set to PCIE/PCI
Tried that but by the time I get back into the BIOS after swapping the 5830 back in the option has reset to Auto. I set it to PCIE, save the settings and reset, then power down. Then install the 780 and power up but get no signal. Power down once again and swap in the 5830 and boot up. Once I am back in the BIOS my version of Initiate Graphics Adapter, called Primary Display is back to Auto again. Though the Initiate iGPU setting of Disabled does stick.

Looking at screenshots of older versions of the BIOS Primary Display appears exactly where Initiate Graphics Adapter used to be, but setting it to PCIE does not stick.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/42933-asus-p8z68-v-pro-z68-sandy-bridge-motherboard-review-13.html

On the other hand if I leave the 5830 in and reset the machine any number of times the options stays as PCIE, but as soon as go through the 780 swap cycle it returns to Auto.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/42933-asus-p8z68-v-pro-z68-sandy-bridge-motherboard-review-13.html

Derelict77

Well I wrote a longer response almost an hour ago but it has not shown up.

The short version is that my "Initiate Graphics Adapter" option has been renamed to "Main Display". If I set the option to PCIE and reboot with the 5830 in, no matter the number of times, it stays set to PCIE. On the other hand if I go through the 780 swap, which still results in no signal, by the time I am back to the BIOS with the 5830, the option has reset to Auto. I suspect this happens when the 780 is put in.

iGPU Initiation stays Disabled the entire time though.

enaberif

I'm wondering if that board somehow has a conflict between that GPU. Do you have any other nvidia cards you can test or borrow to confirm this? Preferably of a difference generation?

Derelict77

Found an old 8800GT that has been in a misc hardware box for years and it behaves the same way as the 780 Ti. Machines boots and seems to progress to windows but I get no signal and my motherboard's VGA led stays solid, reporting an issue.

Seems you my be right or that 8800GT is faulty for all I know. It hasn't seen a computer in 4-5 years at least.

My god is that tiny fan loud on the 8800 :D

enaberif

Found an old 8800GT that has been in a misc hardware box for years and it behaves the same way as the 780 Ti. Machines boots and seems to progress to windows but I get no signal and my motherboard's VGA led stays solid, reporting an issue.

Seems you my be right or that 8800GT is faulty for all I know. It hasn't seen a computer in 4-5 years at least.

My god is that tiny fan loud on the 8800 :D
Ok so the 8800GT boots to Windows but then drops the signal? Do you by chance have the Lucid software installed for Windows?

How about booting into Safe Mode what happens if you do that?

Twitter