What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New HCF folding members please post here for intro and tag requests!

LCB001

Hi all,

I've been folding for the team for the last few weeks but didn't see this post. I've got the two rigs in my sig folding 24/7. Both CPU and GPU folding plus a Dell Latitude D830 (C2D T8300) part time. Hope this helps the team :thumb:
Welcome to the Team, glad you dropped in to say hello. You have been moving up the charts fairly fast and have been a big help.
Don't forget to ask for your Folding Tag here; http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/8325-folding-tag-requests.html

chrisk

Folding Captain
Hi all,

I've been folding for the team for the last few weeks but didn't see this post. I've got the two rigs in my sig folding 24/7. Both CPU and GPU folding plus a Dell Latitude D830 (C2D T8300) part time. Hope this helps the team :thumb:

Welcome doup!

Alwaysrun

Welcome doup. I was wondering who you were steaming past everyone on the charts and now here you are. It's a pleasure to finally see you post on the forums and I hope you enjoy the community. :canadianwave:

doup93

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been around the forum reading posts for a while but don't participate much. I'm starting to write a user review on that Reeven heatsink since it's fairly new and there's no review to be found yet.

Just one question, is it just me or the ATI client is not very good for folding? It seems to be using a fair share of CPU in addition to the GPU. Is it better to just run the SMP client on that machine?

Maybe I should get a more powefful vid card.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The ATI client isn't that great, no. There is high CPU utilization and the client itself isn't all that efficient.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
nVidia GPUs are mostly used for Folding; ATI GPUs are not efficient for the time being - this will change eventually though; Quad Cores CPUs can be used either for Crunching or Folding (with the SMP Client). Dual Cores can be used too for both, but again produce less output that the Quads (obviously).

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Just one question, is it just me or the ATI client is not very good for folding? It seems to be using a fair share of CPU in addition to the GPU. Is it better to just run the SMP client on that machine?

If you're talking about your backup machine, I'd think you might get more points from SMP than from that 3450. I used to average about 2900 PPD on my OC'd 8400. My 4870 will get up to 4300 PPD on the right WU's.

Silvgearx

so i have been doing some turtle folding for the week or so. Where do i check my progress? Can't seem to find myself on the F@H standford site :sad:

Using the rosetta client user name: 5ilvgearx(iriya)

LCB001

so i have been doing some turtle folding for the week or so. Where do i check my progress? Can't seem to find myself on the F@H standford site :sad:

Are you doing Rosetta@Home or Folding@Home or both;

HardwareCanucks HWC Rosetta Team homepage
Hardware Canucks Forum - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats Folding@Home HWC Team homepage

And don't forget to ask for your Folding Tag http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/8325-folding-tag-requests.html

chrisk

Folding Captain

Hey 5ILVgeARX;
F@H Stanford does not use Rosetta. These are two separate teams/projects we are working on.
This is the Stanford project we work on: Folding@home - Stats
Our team pagefor the project is here:
Folding@Home
A quick look through F@H (Stanford) stats does not show you as having any work done on that project.

Rosetta (University of Washington) uses a piece of software called Boinc, and the project page can be found here: Rosetta@home
Our team page is here: Members of HardwareCanucks

Looking through this list, you have indeed crunched some numbers for HWC:
Account data for 5ILVgearx(Iriya)

Hope this helps! Welcome to the team!