What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New HCF folding members please post here for intro and tag requests!

chrisk

Folding Captain
I've noticed that my gpu sings through entire 353 WU's but sings in burst fire with other WU's, is there a bottleneck somewhere? I recall someone telling me it's giving the gpu a break or something, but can't remember exactly where... if it is trying to give my gpu a break, is there a way to make it plow right through without a break?

You eventually won't even hear the 'coil whine.' It is called 'Folder's Ear':thumb:

switch33

So I decided to take the folding plunge and put some PCs to use...

E8500(ES) @ 4.275GHz
E7500 @ 3.5 GHz
E6600 - stock

I have a question for those more experienced in folding than I am. I tried running the CPU client as well as the GPU client on my main machine and noticed some interesting numbers. With just the GPU client running it uses 50% CPU and 100% GPU but if I fire up the CPU client at the same time, the GPU client drops down to ~ 35% CPU usage and ~ 85% GPU usage. Is this normal? and are these clients (CPU & GPU) designed to run on the same machine or separate machines? I was assuming that the GPU client would exclusively use GPU and not CPU to do the work.

LCB001

So I decided to take the folding plunge and put some PCs to use...

E8500(ES) @ 4.275GHz
E7500 @ 3.5 GHz
E6600 - stock

I have a question for those more experienced in folding than I am. I tried running the CPU client as well as the GPU client on my main machine and noticed some interesting numbers. With just the GPU client running it uses 50% CPU and 100% GPU but if I fire up the CPU client at the same time, the GPU client drops down to ~ 35% CPU usage and ~ 85% GPU usage. Is this normal? and are these clients (CPU & GPU) designed to run on the same machine or separate machines? I was assuming that the GPU client would exclusively use GPU and not CPU to do the work.
The cpu and gpu clients work well together they just need to be set up right.

Make sure to set the priority to idle when configuring the cpu client,
Make sure to set the priority for the gpu client one step higher, either low (console) or slightly higher (systray) depending on which you dl'ed.

An Ati gpu will use up to an entire cpu core if you don't set the enviromental variables, I've never used ati but check this thread at the Folding forums Folding Forum • View topic - Environmental Variables for the developing drivers

Which cpu client you are using will also effect things, if you have more questions start a thread and someone will be glad to help.

Welcome to the Team...:thumb:

switch33

The cpu and gpu clients work well together they just need to be set up right.

Make sure to set the priority to idle when configuring the cpu client,
Make sure to set the priority for the gpu client one step higher, either low (console) or slightly higher (systray) depending on which you dl'ed.

An Ati gpu will use up to an entire cpu core if you don't set the enviromental variables, I've never used ati but check this thread at the Folding forums Folding Forum • View topic - Environmental Variables for the developing drivers

Which cpu client you are using will also effect things, if you have more questions start a thread and someone will be glad to help.

Welcome to the Team...:thumb:

Thanks for the infos, the environmental variables helped a lot.

Dr.CSM

Hello everyone. Take it easy on me because I am a newbee and I will stick my hubby on you if you don't! My name is Connie and I am BWM (Brad's) wife, fellow Ph.D, and very soon to be fellow folder. Work on it progresses slowly because we, as senior engineers, take a lot of work home with us on most days. Brad is also largely disabled to it takes us longer to get things done. See you again when my first work unit completed certificate comes in.

Connie.

badatcards

Welcome to the team DR.CSM (Connie). I think you will find everyone's friendly here. Make yourself at home.Way To Fold