What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New home for Printer: location and/or "tent"?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@lcdguy
I've pretty much decided that the printer will be going into my shop/laundry room (obviously never running laundry machines at the same time as the printer). I can maintain 21c in this room already with ease, or can bring it up to 26-28c when the dehumidifier is running to keep the room at 30% humidity. Either way, from what I've read it should be fine in both conditions.

Ventilation is also something I've thought of, and will be addressed someday when I've got a lot of time. I'll probably be putting a Y in the large diameter exhaust duct from my drying machine. When I've got that, I'll probably get a tent for the printer and use a fan to pull air slowly through the tent and out the ducting to outside.
But alllllll of that is going to be a long ways away, and only once I've decided to move beyond PLA printing. I've already got about a hundred projects to do at home and can't get any of them done quickly in my condition. 🤷‍♂️

danmitch1

I wonder if there is a kind of air filter that can filter out most of the bad stuff in order to keep the conditioned air in tact.

lcdguy

Folding Team
I've looked into this before and it seems there are two items that could be making the air around 3d printers less then ideal to be breathing in.

1. VOC's, though these are not in significant quantities when printing with pla/pet-g they become more and issue with things like ABS, but could likely be mititgated with something like an activated charcoal filter"

2. UFP's (Ultra Fine Particles) (specific to FDM/FFF Printing) these though I wasn't able to come across anything that could really filter these out effectively due to their size (on average about 11-116nm), which unfortunately even HEPA won't necessarily catch as it's pretty small. For now the only real option is to vent outdoors. However if you're not running the printer say right beside your bed or snorting in the air right beside the extruder it's likely not as serious an issue as the internet tends to make things. :)

Honestly i think much smarter people than me would need to do serious research before i would worry too much about ufp's.

While resin doesn't really have UFP's to speak of since it's a much different process, working with resin has it's own issues and risks.

Latest posts