What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New home Mixing Cat5E with Cat6?

SugarJ

Staff member
Solid in the walls, strand is for patch cables. IMHO.

Edit: I picked up my patch panel, keystones and punchdown tool for my house at monoprice.com. And all my faceplates and banana plugs for my speakers too.

BlueByte

Solid wiring vs strand wiring.. I'll go with solid any day.

I hate trying to crimp strand wiring just never works well.
Sorry I have been up for 48 hours... CAT6 has an Plastic separator option that is escaping me right now. thats what I meant by solid core..:whistle:

KaptCrunch

CAT6 also has cable with a solid core or not... there are a lot of different kinds. Honestly unless you live in an industrial complex just get the CAT 6 non solid core if its the same as CAT5e. You don't need shielding unless its some special use case. The solid core will be better for long runs, but in a normal house you are probably hard pressed to get 100' runs and even then thats not "long".

Because I have boxes the stuff when I ran my house I have 3 going to each room, CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT6 solid core.... there is 0 difference between them.

why leave it to chance to have interference when run net cables beside hydro lines and EMF

Twitter