What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New HTPC/Server go Ryzen or Intel?

justmehereajax

I am jealous of my friend who built a new Ryzen system.

So I will get a new system LOL so I feel better.

I plan to run two VM (Windows 7 and Windows 10) on my new system along with Windows 10 main. My old system is still doing alright but I am itching for something ‘today ‘ with NVME and extra threads. I remote in so I like the fastest everything.

I am thinking of getting this build;
AMD Ryzen 2600
16GB of DDR4-3200 (2x 8GB) I think
Name brand NVME 500GB Boot Drive and VM
I have a old Samsung EVO 850 500GB for Fast Storage and bunch of normal SATA drives
I have a oldie ASUS 750 Ti 2GB which I can slap on a 120mm fan to cool it. Remove preinstalled fan and tie fan to heat sink. No worries about factory fan dieing.

Problem is motherboard. I see m.2 is kinda mainstream now as prices for x2 NVME cheaper than SATA counterparts sometimes.

I am not sure about AMD chipsets and boards.

I want a board that support 2 x m.2 (x4 and a x2 PCIe 3.0 would be bare minimum). That means ATX. Also 6X SATA too.

Any recommendations? I am not sure about Intel route. Something like a i5-8400 I think should do the trick but I would like more threads ... and Intel is better for resell though.

JD

Staff member
Might be a good idea to consider Ryzen 3600 as well now, roughly the same price. Depending how much RAM you allocate to your VM's, you might want to go with 32GB instead.