What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New HTPC/Server go Ryzen or Intel?

justmehereajax

This is a old (my) thread now... I built my rig in August 2019 using old parts source locally and from friends lol
I got the following:
  • AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU USED $120
  • MSI Tomahawk B350 ATX motherboard USED $75
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM stuck at 2133MHz lolol NEW over $200
  • WD SN750 500GB m.2 USED slightly from a friend REVIEW unit $100
  • Palit GTS 450 GTS 1GB with Arctic Cooling L2 Plus cooler Idles low power 1080p is all I need for now
  • USB 2.5" 320GB External HD Shared drive
  • Reused ancient ATX case 3 fans (2x80mm, 1x92mm controlled via mobo 3 pin)
  • Reused ancient CX 430 Corsair PSU from 2012 I know I should of gotten a new PSU but it works?????
Once in a while it needs a reboot. like once every 1-2 months but oh well.... maybe the PSU??? Everything more than stock settings
Overall I am happy, pretty stable.. might upgrade the PSU to some Seasonic MkII 520 maybe during christmas sales just to make it super stable

At one point my previous server was old i7 3770 rig.... this ryzen is kinda a sidegrade but more threads so I could run tons of stuff in the background.. overall more smoother

Last edited:

clshades

The ryzen APU's can do HEVC decoding on the fly, though not as well as intel. You're video card is more than likely doing the work. Having worked with a massive plex server with 8 displays throughout the house, 1500+ movies, and plex app on every tv. I have yet to see anyone pull this off with a ryzen. I'd sure like to see someone try though.

MARSTG

Starting with the integrated graphics of the Raven Ridge APU (Ryzen 2200/2400G), the former UVD and VCE have been replaced by the new "Video Core Next" (VCN). VCN 1.0 adds full hardware decoding for the VP9 codec. VCN
Untitled.jpg

Latest posts

Twitter