What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New i9 9900k/2080ti build

Gman109

I'm building a couple of these systems, the first will be upgrading a 2 year old system, the next a completely new build.

New build parts:

Lian Li PC011 b Air RGB Case (for the new i/o front connections for USB 3.1 new gens and type C).
i9-9900k
Gskill Trident Z 32gb 3600

ROG Maximus Hero XI z390
Zotac 2080ti AMP (until my eVGA pre order cards get here)
Samsung 970 m.2 1 tb, 2 Samsung 860 1tb Evo, 1 4gb WD Black spinner
NZXT X62 Rev 2
eVGA 1300 G2 PSU (left over from a build last year that was aborted, extra power for NV Link should I want to add a 2nd 2080ti)

Upgrade Build: Removing X99 Strix/6800k Broadwell E MB/CPU and 16gb 4x8 Ram kit
Replacing with: ROG Max Hero HI z390, Gskill Trident 32gb 3600, Zotac 2080ti AMP, i9-9900k
Current existing parts being kept:
Corsair 750D
eVGA 1300 PSU
NZXT X61
Samsung 1tb 970, Samsung 950m.2 256, 2 Samsung 850 evo 500mb

Parts for the upgrade should be here Monday, the rest before Friday I hope for the new build. Post some pics and 3dmark/etc results once completed.

clshades

From what I've been reading you may wanna cancel your pre-order cards unless they are 2nd or 3rd gen boards. Lotta pissed of customers out there with failing cards.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
From what I've been reading you may wanna cancel your pre-order cards unless they are 2nd or 3rd gen boards. Lotta pissed of customers out there with failing cards.

"lotta" is quite relative, and perhaps anecdotal. According to industry sources (see Gamers Nexus 2080ti failing video), their RMA numbers are not out of line with previous generations numbers. nVidia themselves has stated they're not seeing RMA's higher than normal either.

This may be just a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease; People who are pissed off are the first ones to take to online forums and shout.

implosion222

"lotta" is quite relative, and perhaps anecdotal. According to industry sources (see Gamers Nexus 2080ti failing video), their RMA numbers are not out of line with previous generations numbers. nVidia themselves has stated they're not seeing RMA's higher than normal either.

This may be just a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease; People who are pissed off are the first ones to take to online forums and shout.

Yep exactly and you combine that with the outrageous price and you'll likely have a higher amount of ppl being vocal about it online. I've also seen a few cards fail that were watercooled... PSA for anyone wanting to do that... make sure it doesn't void the warranty lol. EVGA and Asus usually will honor the warranty even if you took the OEM cooler off but there's a few brands out there that will straight up refuse an RMA even if the card has been tempered with.

Gman109

I've read it's largely the Founders cards failing as well, the 2 2080ti Zotac AMPs I've been running o/c'd as high as I could get them stable have been fine so far, in fact they are outrunning my neighbors Asus 2080ti in benchmarks with the same cpu (8700k until tomorrow). The pre orders I'm waiting for are from eVGA - if they fail, they fail, eVGA has never been hard to deal with regarding RMAs, especially if it's a new card. I haven't messes with custom loop h20 for years, and don't really plan to again, so the cards won't have custom blocks put on them which could cause a warranty issue.

Gman109

Upgrade build starts tonight, good times. I hope the rest of the components come this week or early next, like to have all our systems up and running with the new 2080ti and 9900k.

Warning: Rant below.

Man, I HATE Purolator right now. Leave $2k worth of parts in two very large and obvious Newegg boxes outside the front door. No knock, no ring, just dropped it off and left. Signature required was checked on the Newegg order, apparently after calling Purolator to complain, they driver has the option to just ignore the signature required, and get this, if "using his discretion he believes it to be "safe". W. T. F!!!!

We have piles of joggers and dog walkers go by every hour here, not to mention a pile of kids from the 2 elementary and one high school in the area. I'm amazed the boxes were still here in fact after 2 hours of sitting in the snow we have coming down right now (an entirely different area of complaint than theft risk, leaving PC parts in the effing snow).

Both Newegg and Purolator gave me the typical song and dance that's expected these days. "If your package is stolen, it'll only take 45 days to for the complaint to be processed and for you to receive a replacement order or refund". Heh, I think I'll be doing a credit card charge back should any boxes get jacked in the future. This wasn't an issue in the past for me, as at this address (we have another home in Calgary), I or someone else was always here as my mother was in paliative care here and in our constant care for nearly 2 years until she recently passed. Now there is nobody here most of the time if me and the missus are out.

Anyone else have similar issues with this happening, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Very frustrating. Ordering another 27" 144hz 4k this week - is that going to sit in the snow unattended if we're both out that day when it's delivered? Having a $3k monitor get jacked would truly, truly suck. Even with security cameras, it's not going to do much as the 5.0 rank this sort of thing pretty low on the priority list I'm sure.

Attachments

• upgrade1.jpg
    upgrade1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 125

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
With Purolator you have the option for them to hold it at the depot for pickup and not to put it on the truck or attempt delivery. If you know something expensive is coming and you can't be home, that might be an option.

JD

Staff member
Anyone else have similar issues with this happening, I can't imagine I'm the only one.
Generally, I don't think theft happens as much in Canada as it does in certain states down south. And I would wager, for the most part, people rather it be left than having to go pick it up. I suspect Purolator (or any courier) gets more calls asking for redelivery than insurance/loss claims. From a business perspective, it's easier to just leave the package then pay the driver to come back again another day. Plus these depots generally aren't located nearby the recipients. Similar to all the parking tickets these drivers get too, it's cheaper to pay the ticket than it is for the driver to park properly and spend additional time walking to the place of business/residence.

The only odd part of your scenario though is that the package had "signature required". If you don't have Purolator SNR setup, I don't see how it was acceptable for them to leave it. However, the only thing I can think is you setup SNR at some point (or somebody else did for this address) and it's still on file. I've asked my Canada Post guy to leave stuff with signature required before, but he said he can't do that. I've noticed some CP tracking numbers are giving you delivery options though before it's due now. UPS can be overridden on a per-day basis via their MyChoice program and DHL has something similar.

I guess really it boils down to the driver that's delivering that day. I used to have a regular Purolator guy as well that would question if I really wanted things to be left, since somethings Newegg/NCIX/etc would ship in the box as-is so you could clearly see what it was. In my case, I've always asked for them to leave things at the side door which is behind a solid fence, so at least it's out of sight.

If you prefer picking up your packages though, you could get a PO Box and send it there instead. Also, depending where you are, you could also use Penguin Pickup (located near those outdoor malls). I'm sure there's lots of other options out there too for that matter.

...and this coming from a guy who had a 4TB HDD from Amazon stolen last Christmas (so 1 theft in over 10yr of having things left). I still prefer the convenience of it waiting on my door step when I get home than having to go to the depot to pick it up the following day.

Anyways, back on topic, good luck with your build! Looking forward to it since those are some hard to get parts.

PurolatorHelp

Upgrade build starts tonight, good times. I hope the rest of the components come this week or early next, like to have all our systems up and running with the new 2080ti and 9900k.

Warning: Rant below.

Man, I HATE Purolator right now. Leave $2k worth of parts in two very large and obvious Newegg boxes outside the front door. No knock, no ring, just dropped it off and left. Signature required was checked on the Newegg order, apparently after calling Purolator to complain, they driver has the option to just ignore the signature required, and get this, if "using his discretion he believes it to be "safe". W. T. F!!!!

We have piles of joggers and dog walkers go by every hour here, not to mention a pile of kids from the 2 elementary and one high school in the area. I'm amazed the boxes were still here in fact after 2 hours of sitting in the snow we have coming down right now (an entirely different area of complaint than theft risk, leaving PC parts in the effing snow).

Both Newegg and Purolator gave me the typical song and dance that's expected these days. "If your package is stolen, it'll only take 45 days to for the complaint to be processed and for you to receive a replacement order or refund". Heh, I think I'll be doing a credit card charge back should any boxes get jacked in the future. This wasn't an issue in the past for me, as at this address (we have another home in Calgary), I or someone else was always here as my mother was in paliative care here and in our constant care for nearly 2 years until she recently passed. Now there is nobody here most of the time if me and the missus are out.

Anyone else have similar issues with this happening, I can't imagine I'm the only one. Very frustrating. Ordering another 27" 144hz 4k this week - is that going to sit in the snow unattended if we're both out that day when it's delivered? Having a $3k monitor get jacked would truly, truly suck. Even with security cameras, it's not going to do much as the 5.0 rank this sort of thing pretty low on the priority list I'm sure.

Hello Gman109, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If the shipper requests the Signature Not Required Service (OSNR), it will be left at the door regardless if you live in an apartment building or a house. The value of the content is not a factor. If the signature required service Was requested then it should never be left at the door, it is Not at the discretion of the driver, unless the receiver owns a SNR contract with us. If it was confirmed that a signature was necessary for the delivery of this item and that we left it anyways, please email me the tracking number and I'll file a complaint. However, if the shipper systematically chooses this service and it is not convenient for you, please contact them directly to have it changed.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Catherine/Social Media Coordinator
Email: customer,care@purolator.com

Gman109

Heh, Purolator has hunted me down on 3 different boards now - very odd. Apparently they leave it up to the driver to just "leave" packages with signature required.

On to the upgrade - I'm really impressed with the Zotac card's performance, less so with their software. OC to 170/700, fairly mild to middle ground oc, with the CPU overclocked and stable at 5.0 (again, not really pushing it hard, most if not all 9900k will achieve this with standard AIO cooler or Noctua air IMO), I'm getting 15500ish 3Dmark scores, which is right in the ballpark for other users. Once my old faithful eVGA 2080ti FTW cards get here (apparently among the better 2080ti cards performing so far), we'll see then.

Really noticeable improvement in VR, I just go the new Samsung Odyssey "Plus" model (running Sam Odysseys now for a while), and the reduction in screen door/god rays, and a bit more clarity is very noticeable, as is the extra 30% FPS I'm getting on average in the sim games I play with VR (DCS/etc) over my 8700k/1080ti system, makes the PITA of upgrading worth it. I have 2 more 9900k on the way, along with 3 more 2080ti (going to "NV Link" one system, as a DCS player that works at Stanford in the AI/CS lab is creating an SLI/NV link profile for both DCS and VR as we speak, and is having great results so far, very interesting thread going on in that game's forums, and I hope it'll cross over into other games so far as the NVLink being supported in VR in other games out there eventually).

The only somewhat negative is the Asus MB. Wow, the Maximus XI is getting a fair bit of negative press out there, and I can see why, partially. Won't get into it here, I don't want to bash Asus over one product as I'm a large user of their products (I've spent $10k in the last 2 years on their monitors alone now), and one poorly worded campaign slogan (8 phase/4 phase/etc) plus a few other annoying things, doesn't a bad company make. It works "ok" for now, and is stable, which is all I really ask.

Latest posts