What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Kicking Build is on nigh!

GeezerGamer

I'm starting this thread in hopes of getting your opinions and sound advice moving forward with a new build.
I'm an older gamer enduring an Approx 10 year old gaming build which back then was near top end. After being away from PC gaming for a few years I wanted back in so earlier this year I updated my GPU to hold me over until Intel, Nvidea and AMD released there new goodies:) I've been playing PC Apex Legends a lot as hopes of running other current and future top tier games at high settings wasn't going to happen. PS4 has held me over in those few years to my chagrin.....and FPS games are my go to but I welcome variety.
So, I'd like to focus on the future build I envision and not my past hardware.
I was a fanboy or sorts with brands like Asus, Cooler Master and Logitech but that won't apply any longer.
If I was to purchase today it would look something like this.......
AMD 3950X CPU, AMD X570 Auros Ultra MB, 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM, Asus 2080 Ti GPU and Corsair AX1000 watt PSU.....etc.
I've been holding off and saving for what turned into a too long a wait for new products I alluded to earlier.
Budget would be in the 7 to 8 grand Canadian all said and done with the additional components added in. Such as a dual chamber case, 1440 P monitor, SSD storage and lots of RGB! I want a build that won't be outdated before the new ozone smell has worn off.
Hence my waiting for Ampere or AMD's answer to it. I will have plenty of questions and would welcome advice over my concerns which will be expressed in due course:)
This will primarily be geared towards gaming but used for other purposes as well...of course:)
My first question will be posted apart from this post shortly........

Cheers

GeezerGamer

Hi again, So....my first question or concern is regarding the expected or ongoing PSU shortages.
I'm one to get a little more and not be left wanting so a Corsair AX/1000 Watt has my attention.
It gets great reviews, has the capacity (I think seeing how Nvidea 3080's will be eating 320 watts) and will fan off when able. With a dual chamber case an RGB able PSU isn't required.
In part I'd like to buy the odd component in advance and not have to pay out in one big chunk!
I Recently ordered a Audeze Primrose gaming headset for example and I wonder if this is a good strategy here with this PSU?
Using a PSU calculator I believe this PSU will cover my needs?
I don't like the thought when comes time to purchase I have to wait on a PSU back order!
Should I buy now? Will this modular PSU handle new gear or do I need a more current release PSU?

Please advise.....thanks

Bond007

While I think most of your thoughts are reasonable if going for a high end build today, since you are waiting until new releases you really need to ask the question after the new releases.

clshades

If you wouldn't mind answering the questions. Sorry I'm finding your post hard to follow.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

GeezerGamer

Right.......Answers to help clear things up.

1, Gaming. All else falls into place.

2, 7-8 grand Canadian dollars.

3, Canada and most likely Canada Computers.

4, not a fan boy in this case just looking for best value and quality. Possible leanings towards Corsair, Auros, Asus and AMD.

5, Total new build!

6, I concentrate on hardware reviews. My conclusions are reflected in my above posts.

7, I'd be happy with great default settings that in the future could be overclocked to keep up with the times.

8, I hope to build before years end. I would like to build with a new AMD CPU along with the best bang for dollar GPU from either Nvidea or AMD.

9, I would want 1440 or 4K resolution at a minimum 144 hz refresh. A Samsung G7 32" 240hz monitor perhaps?

10, Sure....4.0 PCIe, USB 3.0, SSD, RGB, quiet air cooling and a means to over throw the world to my new order:)

I'm a family man that when time allows wants to relax in the PC gaming world. Hard to come by all the right answers on my own with so little time to spare. Please help me out.

GG

moocow

Left out GPU and monitor but at around $1900 with tax, still plenty of money left over for whatever GPU Nvidia and AMD is planning to release. $4K for GPU and about $1K for monitor. From the sound of recent rumors, PCI-E 4.0 may actually make a difference with the next generation of GPU. Intel sadly doesn't offer PCI-E 4.0 and some rumor by Morse Law Is Dead indicate some of Intel's next generation of boards may not even support Rocket Lake and PCI-E 4.0.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($159.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($321.05 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($156.27 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Total: $1700.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-30 00:00 EDT-0400

clshades

Configurator Summary

Fractal Design
Define R6 USB-C White-TG E-ATX Case w/ Tempered Glass Side Window

$249.99

AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X Processor, 3.8GHz w/ 70MB Cache

$619.99

Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i RGB PLATINUM 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

$229.99

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA w/ DDR4-3200, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 802.11ax, BT 5.0, CrossFire / SLI

$429.99

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro PCI-E x4 NVMe M.2 SSD, 2TB

$299.99

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro PCI-E x4 NVMe M.2 SSD, 2TB

$299.99

Seagate 8TB Exos 7E8 Enterprise 3.5in HDD SATA III w/ 256MB Cache

$369.99

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X3 External USB Sound Card w/ DAC / ADC, Super X-Fi®, 600Ω Headphone Amp, USB Type-C

$169.99

Corsair Professional Series Platinum HX1000i Modular Power Supply, 1000W

$339.99

Nvidia GeForce RTX TITAN 24GB PCI-E w/ HDMI, Triple DP, USB-C

$3,499.99

G.SKILL Trident Z NEO Series 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2x 16GB)

$239.99

Sub total: $6,749.89

GeezerGamer

Thanks for your responses. I just want to reiterate I'm waiting on the newer CPU's from AMD(4000 series), newer Big Navi 2x Gpu's or a 3080//3090 depending on pricing?
Would I go wrong getting a Corsair AX1000 PSU in advance of the above hardware.

Last edited:

clshades

Thanks for your responses. I just want to reiterate I'm waiting on the newer CPU's from AMD(4000 series), newer Big Navi 2x Gpu's or a 3080//3090 depending on pricing?
Would I go wrong getting a Corsair AX1000 PSU in advance of the above hardware.

Wouldn't hurt. Apparently finding PSU's is getting tough.

GeezerGamer

Wouldn't hurt. Apparently finding PSU's is getting tough.

So, the store I usually purchase PC hardware from has had two AX 1000's in stock for the last several days.
That was still the case first thing this morning then only one remained before noon....yikes!
So that last one now has my name on it, they're holding it for me:)
I think I'm happy about it.