What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Kicking Build is on nigh!

GeezerGamer

I was thinking 3 fans intake bottom, 3 fans intake with AIO side and 3 fans exhaust top and 1 fan back top.
From what I've read push/pull doesn't seem the thing to do?

Skippman

I was thinking 3 fans intake bottom, 3 fans intake with AIO side and 3 fans exhaust top and 1 fan back top.
From what I've read push/pull doesn't seem the thing to do?

@GeezerGamer we're basically building the same rig right now as I'm also building a X570 Aorus in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case. I'm going with a full water loop though which is where we're a bit different. Oh, and I don't have that FREAKING SWEET MONITOR.

If you're planning on using an AIO it really needs to go at the top of the case. That's not me saying so, that's Steve at Gamers Nexus saying so. The TL: DR of that video is that all AIO's have some air in them for the purposes of expansion. When you run the AIO cooler on it's side or at the bottom it causes the air in the loop to go to the highest point in the radiator. If it's mounted on the bottom that means the air is near the barbs of the loop. If it's on it's side, depending on if you have the barbs on top or bottom, it could also be where the barbs are. This creates cavitation in the loop and can lead to noise or poor thermal performance. You might be able to mount it on the side if you could put the barbs at the bottom but I doubt the AIO has tubes long enough to accommodate that.

I'd also mount the radiator on top for thermal reasons. If you mount it on the bottom you're going to be pushing the warmer air from the radiator up into the case due to convection. Side mounting might help to overcome that slightly as you'd be vending out the side/rear of the case. Top mounting means the bulk of the warm air will be immediately vented as the CPU is one of the two hottest things in the case, with the GPU being the other.

Push/Pull is still considered the best option IF you want to run a ton of fans. In my setup I'm running 10 fans. 3 at the very bottom of the case, then my radiator, then 3 more on top of that in a push/pull configuration. I'll also have 3 fans on my second radiator at the top as exhaust as well as 1 at the rear as exhaust. I felt the push/pull was needed to help with positive pressure in the case as the bottom radiator would otherwise impede airflow.

1603550472919.png

The side mount in my case will be used for the EK Waterblocks O11 distro plate and pump. For your setup I'd run 3 fans on the bottom as intake, 3 on the side as intake, 1 on the rear as exhaust, and your radiator with 3 fans in push configuration at the top. This will allow you to maximize convection, install the AIO correctly for minimum cavitation and noise, and hopefully give you the best thermals.

GeezerGamer

Skippman, thanks for your thoughts! I've seen that video. I re-watched to be sure I was remembering it right!
At the 19:44 mark of video is the part that suggests side mount vertical with barbs at bottom would be fine. As long as the top of rad is above the pump which I'm hoping would be the case. The Thermaltake rad has 40cm length hoses, do you think that would reach to the bottom of the side intake mount position? How do like your 011? I've only really looked at it once with the sides off and am quite impressed!

Skippman

To be honest it's still sitting in the box in my workshop right now. I ordered an EK Waterblocks O11 Distribution plate back on the 7th October. They said they'd have it back in stock by the 20th. I got an e-mail on the 21st indicating that they're still waiting on the parts and I should expect to get something by mid November. So I have about $1000 in case and watercooling parts sitting on my work bench waiting for the one critical part of the system. Because of where it has to mount I want to make sure I have it before I start building so I can run all my wiring cleanly.

GeezerGamer

EWWWWW the end game is nigh?
Cooling solution is ordered in part and in part being picked up tomorrow!
Thermaltake it is and I hope it does the trick:) Links below.....
Waiting on AMD CPU and possibly AMD GPU(most likely AMD), I'll see what's what in three days with their announcement.
Oh, I also ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease to replace my Arctic Silver 5!
Damm this is getting REAL!

Bond007

hat in three days with their announcement.
Oh, I also ordered some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease to replace my Arctic Silver 5!
Nice. Kryonaut is pricy, but supposed to be one of, if not the the best non-conductive TIM.

GeezerGamer

Bond007 says....
"Nice. Kryonaut is pricy, but supposed to be one of, if not the the best non-conductive TIM."

You all made me do it!!
banana

Last edited:

GeezerGamer

Is it a good idea for me to Q-Flash Plus the bios before having the CPU?
A number of Bios updates would be skipped. It a brand new MB going right to the latest F31d version optimized for Ryzen 5000 CPU's?
Thoughts?

GeezerGamer

Is there any way I can render the MB useless doing the bios flash?
I think I have the Bios unzipped on a flash drive properly, it's formatted to exFAT. Is exFAT the same as FAT32/16 which is what instructions call for?

With my x570 MB do I hook up both 2x8 pin ATX power connectors along with the 24 pin of course?