What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Laptop suggestions for the misses

Bond007

Is it going to be transported around? If not, the higher tdp CPUs will be the way to go. If it will, you have to determine how much you value thickness, weight, noise, temps, etc. If you transport it or use battery I would probably opt for a lower tdp. I would still favour amd in the mobile space, but the right sale could push my recommend to intel. This looks like a pretty good deal at $900 (- any discount codes/cash back you can get). AMD 5700U, 16gb, 500gb nvme in a thin (ish) frame.

or $650 if you scale each spec back a notch:

sswilson

Staff member

That doesn't look like a horrible deal on a fairly heavy lifting Intel processor, with 512GB NVMe + 16GB memory. $1080 after the 10% code.

The i7-11800H looks to be on par with a 5800H with a slight edge going to the i7.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
remember the report that was done a bit ago, showing how the i5 often beat the i7, despite the i7s higher base and turbo speeds because the higher heat those generated were constantly throttling it below the i5 levels, meaning the i5 was often besting the supposedly superior CPU in most tasks.

danmitch1

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys.
Turns out I didn't have much of an influence on the purchase lol.. She had a apple air book or the ms surface as a toss up.
She ended getting the surface go from bestbuy in store with 12 month interest free (minus administration fee 70$)

Its a nice little rig, shes happy which is whats important.. also, now i can justify a couple of purchases lol..

Bond007

Hmmm. A nice choice, but it will have some pretty big compromises for the uses you mentioned…but if she is happy with it, then it’s all good.

Zubi

Hi Dan,

I just bought a 14" Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 (I always have to double-check the name):

Ryzen 5500U
16GB DDR4
512GB SSD

There are a few variations of this model but if you do go for it, make sure you get the IPS variant.

I have only had it for about 2 months but I can definitely recommend it. The IPS panel brightness isn't crazy so you'll definitely struggle outdoors with it, however, looks good indoors.

I got it for about 630 quid so right about her budget. I'm very happy with it, the only thing to fault is that although the build feels fantastic the plastic can make a bit of noise if you hold it from the size and apply a bit of pressure.

Performance is as you would expect (good), the battery is fine (nothing compared to m1 stuff) and the fingerprint reader is AWESOME! I can one finger set for my personal profile and another for the podcast profile.

It was the only thing I was able to find with a 2020 CPU in it for the price.

Hope it helps! If you buy it off their site as they've already mentioned you can get a discount in several ways.

Zubi.

EDIT:

Just seen she chose the Surface GO

Latest posts