What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Major development in the EK case

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, I see the other mods have stepped in and cleaned up this mess. I can't believe the amount of crap going on over a $10 plating option.

I'll ask all of you not to post in this thread unless you have new information to report. And also, please remember that we demand our members treat each other with respect.

Ebbtides

I can't believe the amount of crap going on over a $10 plating option.

Amen.

For the most part, I'm really impressed at how the HWC community is dealing with this. Most posts are substantial, and the ones who are offensive are dealt with quickly.

I think they make wonderful looking and performing blocks, it's just a shame at how ugly this whole fiasco has become.

But back to the topic. To me this has brought up the question of trust. Would any of you consider buying an EK Cu or even Ni block? After the dust settles, and provided the mistake is corrected, I'd sure try another block or two. As a previous poster mentioned, you can't be 100% sure of your parts - EVER. Not to say some prudence doesn't help, but if a company took all the steps to correct an issue, would you still consider purchasing a product from them?

Hope we can keep up the civility here.:thumb:

AkG

Amen.

For the most part, I'm really impressed at how the HWC community is dealing with this. Most posts are substantial, and the ones who are offensive are dealt with quickly.

I think they make wonderful looking and performing blocks, it's just a shame at how ugly this whole fiasco has become.

But back to the topic. To me this has brought up the question of trust. Would any of you consider buying an EK Cu or even Ni block? After the dust settles, and provided the mistake is corrected, I'd sure try another block or two. As a previous poster mentioned, you can't be 100% sure of your parts - EVER. Not to say some prudence doesn't help, but if a company took all the steps to correct an issue, would you still consider purchasing a product from them?

Hope we can keep up the civility here.:thumb:

Honestly, at this point...probably on both accounts. I inspect all gear as soon as I get it as I had a VERY...VERY bad leak that was due to a mfg'er defect. By the same token I would only buy off someone I could trust 110% to make things right and was either local or at least in CND (to make RMA'ing cheaper and faster). To me this has just reinforced my personal paranoia and I would do the same if the part was by any mfg'er.

With that being said EK had better come out and explain what happened AND ensure that things are made RIGHT, or no I probably wouldnt recommend their kit anymore. To me its not the fact that a mistake happened - it happens to ALL mass produced products - its HOW it is handled. So far they get a C, maybe C+, and unless they turn things around the community is going to vote with their wallets and sink 'em.

With that being said it may already be too late. We have already seen exactly how fast certain people are willing to get out the pitch forks. Hysteria is contagious and the axe grindin' may already have done too much damage for EK to survive. THAT would be a damn shame as the WC industry is not big enough as it stands and needs MORE competition...not less. :sad:

JayDeeHobbit

To me its not the fact that a mistake happened - it happens to ALL mass produced products - its HOW it is handled.
Got to agree there.
Look at how intel handled the Sandy chipset recall. Sure people complained that there was a problem in the first place but Intel made it right and not many long term complaints I'm aware of.
Bottom line is that intel acted on the problem and by doing so kept it's customer base for the long term.

I haven'tbeen following this EK problem but I was watching the posting last night and lol it sure has some people needing their meds. :haha:

Dazmode

I also agree that delay with official response went beyond mental breaking point for large amount of people. This reminds me recall story with sticky Toyota breaks, which took a while to get sorted out right.

Having said that Ek possible downfall will do nothing good for WC hobbyist. Fewer product coverage (especially on GPU side), longer waiting times and higher prices. This is loose-loose scenario so far, but I still think it can be "partial loose" if handled this coming week properly after all.

turtletrax

Banned
The way I see it is you have a company that has its stuff together and it becomes successful and grows fast. Sometimes it grows too much and becomes unstable and logic is blurred and eventually something has to bring it back to focus.

What makes a good company in my eyes is how they see it and remedy the problem.

I have bought tons of EK over the years with little problem, but saw cracks in the armour when I made a simple information request and got a downright rude answer. I put that in the mental filing cabinet and with the addition of how this has been handled to this point, I doubt I would continue with them.

I think in a community the size of watercooling and with how passionate we are you have to make really smart moves or suffer the consequences. I always wonder how terrible resellers and bad manufacturers make it at all. I assume that EK is days away from ending up on that list if the iron curtain isnt broken.

mataribot

After inspection of blocks, two retail stores have suspend all sales of EK nickel blocks. Blocks as far back as GTX 480 have issues. There is no way a small company like EK can asorb so much damage. They will no choice but to limit RMAs and try to rebuild trust. A large company like Toyota can get away with a few blunders, but small company built with comsumer loyalty and trust will have issues.

KylSp

EK's downfall will not be good short term, but it sends a message that if you skirt people on support and sell them garbage, you're most likely done in a market as small as watercooling.

EK's major problem is this how this has been handled. Every manufacturer makes mistakes, it's how you handle them that counts. If block sales would have been suspended right away by EK through resellers until this problem was resolved / fixed, this would have a vastly different outcome.

mataribot

BP, Koolance, and Swiftech survived blunders in the past. So I don't think EK is "done for" just going have a very small part of the market.

Latest posts