What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New mb failure help

Gman109

New i9 build after 3 days humming along went blue screen while surfing last night, and won’t repost. The monitors I tried it with seem to detect the system startup, but screen stays black and no bios screen shows up. Ruled out gpu with other cards and the on board HDMI and display port plugs do the same thing. Tried re seating all mb plug ins many times, checked cpu for too much paste (that’s fine), tried cmos reset, single ram stick boots, and everything else. No post, no beeps, no bios screen, just black screen. kB lights up, but has no effect obviously.

Am I missing anything else to try? Tried this psu on another system quickly, it is working. I’m thinking bad mb, and with my luck with Asus lately this won’t surprise me. Booooo. Asus Maximus XI hero wifi mb.

Again, just want to be sure I’m not forgetting anything else troubleshooting....

Bond007

Did you try and reseat the CPU? Slim chance, but maybe a bent pin or bad contact. Otherwise I say dead mob as most likely followed by dead cpu (way less likely).

fubar

Is it new memory? I didn't understand the memory part of the post - tried different sticks, one at a time and? If either are defective, then it would probably not boot? I also think it could be the mobo - as I recall reading on newegg reviews, some buyers talking about having a DOA mobo - so maybe QC is a problem with all these boards being released?

Gman109

New ram, yes, I tried it in another board and it worked. Tried reseating the i9 as well. You’re right (I hope) that it’s most likely the mb, I’ll know Friday for certain. Rma with newegg sucks so far...

Sagath

Staff member
Sounds like you're checking all the right boxes. One last thing is that it is possible to be the PSU too.

I had a similar problem recently of a dead 8700k, swapped PSU, then CPU from MemEx (their customer support is awesome, they lent me a bench Pentium!), so I didnt have to swap mobo to check.

Bit of a hassle to swap the PSU, but better than RMA'ing the wrong part. My troubleshooting order is always everything you did to the last three, then PSU or CPU (if spare/loaner is possible) -> Mobo.

Edit. I'm an idiot, you said you swapped PSU. Yeah, CPU next, mobo last, if you can swap the CPU.

Gman109

Thanks for all the replies. Small town here but I found one tech with a spare cpu to toss in this board (last thing I could check and troubleshoot)....it won’t post either. Makes me virtually certain it’s the board. Mb fail far more frequently than cpu, at least that’s what I’ve read searching this.

Serves me right for saying how few rma I’ve done in a recent thread.

Last thing, Asus knows they have issues with the Maximus XI, lots of bad reviews, and the Asus rep told me that it’s having much higher failure rates than typical. Newegg reviews show I’m far from the first. Big Asus user, always have been, this has been surprising for me.

Long time MemEx customer here too, since 1999, dozens of systems and monitors/etc. Only reason I didn’t buy from them this time was the i9 availability.

Lysrin

Glad you're narrowing it down. Frustrating in a new system!

I have always been a long time ASUS user too, still am, but when I built my current 4790K system I had a board failure with the brand new ASUS board I had purchased. I had to RMA through ASUS, which was tedious, but in the end once I had completed all the testing to their satisfaction they fixed me up with a brand new board.

Gman109

Glad you're narrowing it down. Frustrating in a new system!

I have always been a long time ASUS user too, still am, but when I built my current 4790K system I had a board failure with the brand new ASUS board I had purchased. I had to RMA through ASUS, which was tedious, but in the end once I had completed all the testing to their satisfaction they fixed me up with a brand new board.
Newegg was pretty good today, total reversal from first agent in fact. Again, they know this product is having higher failure rates now too. Sent me a label so the RMA will be free shipping, and I’m sure they’ll find the same problems with the mb, and they’ll re send me another, which I’ll sell as I picked up a couple Asrock z390 Taichi Ultimate boards. Now I get to find out if a mb swap means I have to go through all the Win10 activation bs again, hah.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter