What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New monitor fuzzy in W7, sharper in XP

Galcobar

Just picked up a Samsung 2370HD, switching from a CRT, and really noticed the image is not as sharp. It's particularly noticeable on text, there's almost a coloured shadow around each line.

The oddity is that it is sharp, or at least a lot sharper, in XP than it is in W7 Professional.

Originally figured it was a difference in drivers, but installed the monitor driver in both OSes and updated the video card driver to 296.10 -- and no change. Both are set to 1920x1080 at 60Hz (native). Far as I can tell both are using the same settings in the Nvidia control panel.

You can see the difference clearly when blown up. The top is W7, the bottow is XP.

Windows 7
W7screencap.jpg

Windows XP
XPscreencap.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Adzsask

You need to customize it to your preference in W7, it is called clear type text tuner, I hated 7 for the fuzzy text, then stumbled upon it one day.

Galcobar

Thank you, I'd forgotten about that element -- set it months ago and didn't think of it with this new monitor. Sadly, no matter what selections I made, the Clear Type tuning didn't really help -- it's slightly better, but not sharp. After you pointed out the tool I took a pixel-level look at other elements and they're all solid-edged.

So, decided to turn Clear Type off. Yep, the tool to make things clear as printed page was producing the blurry edges. Having Clear Type off makes letters very thin, though. Guess I have to choose between sharp but thin lines or blurry fatter ones, and figure out which is easier to read over time. Another "improvement" over XP.

Last edited:

Latest posts