What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New PSU?

headsh0t

I'm thinking of getting a new PSU and I've still got the XFX 850w sitting in my cart @ NCIX for $199 plus I get a $20 gift card so really it's $179. I also found this 1000w Silverstone Strider for $189.NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Strider ST1000 1000W Modular Power Supply ATX 20/24PIN 135mm Fan High Efficiency Black - SST-ST1000 In Canada.

I like the sexiness of the XFX though but an extra 150w for basically the same price would be nice. Does the Silverstones only come with 5 year warranty? What's it got on the inside? I know the XFX has the m12D. Silverstone also has 2 12v rails @ 70a each. I've already got a 700w OCZ GameXstream but it's garbage compared to both of these. My system specs WILL be=

core i5 750 OC'ed
EVGA P55 SLI FTW (which has 2 8pin cpu vtt connectors)
4gb Gskill 1600
GTX 260 core216 and an 8800gt
3 HDD's
4-5 case fans
and a DVD RW drive

That system should draw <500w for sure so and PSU calculator also shows even if I was SLI'ing 2 GTX295's it would only be ~600w. So which would you choose and why? Or should I just stick with my 700w OCZ?

Zero82z

Banned
The Silverstone is a good Enhance-built unit. A bit light on +12V rails though and worse efficiency and ripple suppression compared to the XFX. However, for your system it would be pretty pointless to go with either one. I suggest you go with the Antec Truepower New 750W for $130 here: NCIX.com - Buy Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready Blue 120MM PWM Fan - TP-750 BLUE In Canada.

Or if you really want more power, get the Corsair TX950 for $165 here: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX950W 950W CMPSU-950TX 12V 78A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply - CMPSU-950TX In Canada.

headsh0t

Thanks for responding Zero, although I probably wouldnt get that Antec one since it's got 4 12v rails compared to 1 or 2, it's only bronze certified compared to silver which is no big deal I guess, and the XFX has an extra 4 years warranty(IIRC Antec's is 3 years) and an extra 100w for an extra $35. And while I've had an excellent experience with Antec's RMA, my old 650w trio's cables weren't long enough to be bottom mounted and have them hidden behind the mobo tray. Not sure if they've made them longer on their new models. As for the Corsair, ya it's a good PSU but I'd prefer to go modular. Does anyone else have any input or comments before I spend $200 on a PSU?

Zero82z

Banned
I probably wouldnt get that Antec one
since it's got 4 12v rails compared to 1 or 2
Insignificant.
it's only bronze certified compared to silver which is no big deal I guess
No big deal.
and the XFX has an extra 4 years warranty(IIRC Antec's is 3 years)
This Antec is 5 years.
and an extra 100w for an extra $35.
In typical NCIX fashion, the price was raised from $128 to $142 since I made my last post. The non-LED version is $130 here, which comes out to $70 cheaper than the XFX since you can still use your $20 gift card to contribute toward its cost. An extra 100W is useless to you since you won't be pushing more than 400-450W or so worst-case scenario with your rig.
my old 650w trio's cables weren't long enough to be bottom mounted and have them hidden behind the mobo tray. Not sure if they've made them longer on their new models.
Cable lengths are listed in this review: Antec Truepower New 750W Review

headsh0t

They actually have the Antec True Power New in the NCIX sale for $99. I guess I'll be getting that one cause it's so cheap plus the $8 ground ship and I need to order a h50 anyways. I also have an HX520 but I don't think that would be enough for running 2 GPUs, or it would be cutting it close anyways. Well, I'm sure it would run it fine but I don't want my PSU at max load all the time.

Zero82z

Banned
You better jump on that PSU fast as there are only a handful of them left. $100 is definitely a great price for it. And the HX520 would certainly be enough, but if you want to purchase a new PSU, it certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. For the record, I just swapped my HX520 into my second rig and added a pair of overclocked 9600GSOs, so it's now running an overclocked E2140, overclocked GTX260, and two overclocked 9600GSOs without skipping a beat.

headsh0t

For real? Well shit man what would you do keep a HX520 and use that or buy this Antec? How loud is the HX520 with all that stuff running in there? Does anyone else have any opinions/comments? I'd like to see someone else's perspective on this too so I can make a decision which clearly I'm bad at making. lol I'm going out to jam right now, so I'm hoping I can make a decision when I get back and hopefully those PSU's won't be sold out by then!

Zero82z

Banned
Let's put it this way: the HX520 is quiet enough that I can't hear it over the rest of the hardware. If I were you I'd probably jump on the Antec just because it's a killer deal and totally worth it.

Twitter