What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New rebuild, OS stuttering

tomek

Do the different coloured SATA ports on the mobo use different controllers?
Not sure about your board. (pls check the manual)
w/ the P5B Deluxe, I have a grouping of 6 SATA ports.
Two are black, and four are Red. They all belong the the ICH8 controller.
The jmicron SATA ports work ok as far as I'm concerned. (just not the PATA)

You have a couple more options before throwing more money at the problem:

1) try not using the Jmicron drivers, just the ones that come w/ windows
2) try older versions of the Jmicron drivers, the latest are not always the best
3) try another OS (PIA)
4) PATA to SATA adpater

Hope that helps,
Tomek.

howettl

Well I did a rollback on the Jmicron controller (through device manager) back to the windows drivers. Upon reboot, the problem seems to be mostly gone. I say mostly, because in the 5 mins or so that I've been moving files around and opening various programs to test it, I've had 2 very minor skips of the mouse which aren't really anything to worry about. So at this point I'd say the problem is solved! Thanks to everyone for their input.

MacJunky

On the P5K (plain 'ol vanilla) the red ports are ICH9 and the black ones by the red ones, the black one by the PCI slots, the eSATA, and the PATA are all attached to the Jmicron JMB363 as far as I am aware.

Boldeagle

You should have done this already, but have you done a defrag yet? If it is a fresh install the data could be spread all around the HDD and causing increased activity.

howettl

On the P5K (plain 'ol vanilla) the red ports are ICH9 and the black ones by the red ones, the black one by the PCI slots, the eSATA, and the PATA are all attached to the Jmicron JMB363 as far as I am aware.

I think you're right about that. I took a look through the manual and that seems to be the case.

You should have done this already, but have you done a defrag yet? If it is a fresh install the data could be spread all around the HDD and causing increased activity.

I haven't done a defrag yet. I've been playing some Bioshock (I never quite finished it when it first came out, but the second time around I'm having a blast I might actually beat it this time) and I haven't had any issues yet, since I did the driver rollback. I'll probably do a defrag anyway, it wouldn't hurt.

tomek

It's my understanding data is written to the drive sequentially.
(from the outside of the plater in)

If it's freshly formatted, new OS and application install,
it shouldn't be too fragmented.

tzetsin

FYI i've got a P5k and have used the jmicron controller on multiple brands of pata drives and have never had any issues with it. i think i would run a few tests on the drive before i spent any money repairing something you dont know for sure is the problem. download HDTACH and see if your getting maximum bandwith for your drive (i would guess around 30 - 60 mb/s if its an older drive) other tests you could use are atto hd bench, sysoft sandra file system bench or hd tune. they'll all give you slightly different numbers, but at least you'll know that your drive is performing properly

tomek

Hi, tzetsin
it's a great suggestion to be make certain before conclusion.
Using HDTACH would be a great way to monitor progress.

User beware: HDTACH can cause invalid CPU useage.
I find HD TUNE does not suffer from the same anomaly.

It would be a heck of a coincidence his drive decided to fail the same time he got a new mobo.
Still it's possible, but how can he be sure HDTACH results would point to a bunk HD and not a funky controller / driver?
I believe the OP has mentioned uninstalling the Jmicron drivers has helped.

Last edited:

tzetsin

i wasnt implying the drive was failing, i was implying that he wasnt getting enough bandwith from the controler, and that would show up with those tests.