What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New rig for the wife

titch--

Hello everyone, again! :)

A couple years back I came for some advice as I was VERY outta touch with the latest and greatest and you guys helped me a lot. :)
Old thread https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threads/new-build-advice.78627/
Ended up with
MSI b450 tomahawk
ryzen 5 2600
GSkill rip ddr4 3200 16gb
Crucial nvme m.2 ssd 500gb
Radeon 5600xt

Now Im looking for something for the wife. She works at home now but has a separate laptop for work. She always has like 20 things open/going at the same time and in the near future she would like to play the new Diablo game that just came out.

This is what I threw together for her last night after reading about a few things here
I cant get that vid card off there and since it seems you cant find anything right now anyways, its a no go. I do have a Radeon rx470 in a box right now that she could use though.

You guys see something where Im out in right field or is it okily dokily?

Only thing Im concerned about, but seems like a easy fix, is flashing the mobo for the new 5600s. They coming with the latest firmware to support them yet so no flashing needed? That would be nice. :)

cheers

Shadowarez

Folding Team
id look for a better ssd as WD is part of that issue with switching parts out without telling anyone and charging same for worse then spinning rust performance.

the cooler id look into a Master Hyper 212

as for a gpu that could work for now untill things improve.

other then those 2 things dont see much else id consider changing.

clshades

If you're interested,

I have an x570 Asus Plus (wifi), a ROG Asus 850w (seasonic rebrand) up for grabs if you're interested. Brand new in box. My son's computer has the Asus non-wifi and it's really good. Boots in seconds. Zero complaints...
Asus psu $230 + shipping
asus x570 - plus(wifi) $220 + shipping

I thought I only had a 750w PSU but it's actually the 850 G2 so I don't need it. The board was part of a bundle which I was gonna use but I like my gigabyte board fan controller setup and I'm too lazy to make the swap.

titch--

Hey guys thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

I do like the SSD I have now, ill looks to see if they have a bigger one out for her. thx

As for the cooler, I was just looking for a cheap/smallish cooler for her as I dont think Ill be over clocking anything on her rig for her so I though anything was better then the stock one that came with it. thx

Thanks for the offer clshades Il keep that in mind. thx

moocow

Don't bother with the cooler if all she does is just basic office stuff. Put that money in to the SSD and PSU. Not sure if the BLUE 550 is the one that got its guts swapped to a crappier chips so better to stay with Black 750 for now. PSU wise, go double check reviews. Seasonic full modular at 650W is only $120 or so at ME. I too was tempted to pick it up to replace my really old PC Power & Cooling unit that coil whines.

If you have to pick up a budget cooler, see this review first. The Deepcool 300 appear to be at least 7 years old design.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I would either;

A) Build her a low end intergrated ryzen 5600G (or the like) PC.
B) Give your PC to the wife for her use case. Its more than enough. This allows you to justify yourself a new high end PC ;)

She really doesnt need an add in GPU for Diablo Ressurected, and work. Save the money.

titch--

I ditched the cooler since all she does in netflick, facebook and soon to be the new Diablo game. The CPU does come with is own, so it should work for now anyways. I also ditched that WD SSD for the Crucial one like mine.

I thought about swapping parts with mine and getting some better stuff as I know she dont need as much CPU as I picked for her already. lol Still might. :p

List so far https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/r6XN3Z

moocow

Isn't P5 a DRAM-less SSD? Personally, I always try to go with one with onboard cache like WD Black. Kind of made the mistake of going with Blue 550 before the gut swap story broke and it's a tad slow on my sister's MacBook and Hackintosh.

Latest posts

Twitter