What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Router; Computer Connection Issues

Mr. Gruntsworthy

My 5 year old router recently kicked the bucket, so I recently replaced it with a newer model. Both are D-Link 10/100 wired routers.

Back when i was trying to figure out what was messed up, one of my suspects was the internet. I ended up uninstalling the driver for my network port; but i reinstalled it again afterwards.

As it stands now, when i'm on the internet, Windows Live Messenger seems to keep having connection issues. It tells me that there's some sort of connection issues sometimes; saying that any changes made to it on my computer won't be transferred to other computers i'm signed in on. That in itself doesn't mean much, but the connection issue behind it does.

As well, when i'm trying to surf, loading webpages is painstakingly slow; it's like if you're running Bitcomet with like ten downloads, except bitcomet's not running. (bitcomet is a torrent program for those of you who don't know). Sometimes, the pages don't even load, and i have to re-try them.

All LAN traffic seems to function smoothly; my Xbox can pull videos and music from my main rig with no problems.

Should I maybe try reinstalling my motherboard drivers from the original CD, and/or try running Windows Update?

Help me diagnose this issue, my computer is crying :( i may just end up saying f*** it and buying a PCI network card. :p

Off the top of my head i can't think of anything else to help; im kind of tired, lol. If i'm missing a crucial piece of information, don't hesitate to throw stones at me :p

chouchou

Did this problem start right whne you got your new router?
Also, have you checked in regards to firewall problems? Setup the router correctly? (all settings correct?)
What model is your router? You wifi/lan? There's a lot of variables when dealing with connection issues :S
Good luck!

Arinoth

Staff member
Have you tried releasing and renewing the IP address of your computer, it could be stuck to the old one, confusing this new router, or conflicting with another device causing it to drop sometimes and make it look like you barely have net connection.

sswilson

Staff member
Did you do a full power cycle when you got the new router? Pull the power plug out of both the router and the modem. Leave them off for 1 minute, then bring just the modem back up. Once the modem has a proper light pattern, plug the router back in.

If everything is working well on your inside network it sounds like an issue between your modem and your router. Have you tried plugging one of your computers directly to the modem to see if the issue goes away? (You might have to power cycle the modem when you change the device that's plugged into it).

subliminal

Does it have the same problem if you plug your computer directly into the modem without the router?

Mr. Gruntsworthy

Before i replaced my modem, i was connected directly to it after my router had died.

like i said, it's a wired d link router, a newer model than my old one.

how would i go about releasing my IP address? im on windows vista, btw.

and yes, the first thing i did was do a full power cycle to make sure my router and modem were synced together.

Mr. Gruntsworthy

I reset Windows Firewall back to the defaults, and it seems to have solved the problem.

edit: never mind, it didn't...

Last edited:

Arinoth

Staff member
Ok, to release your ip:
Go to Start Menu
in the little search bar thingy with vista/win 7 or run with xp type in cmd
a black dos like window will come up with a command prompt c:\(it most likely have whatever the user name you have set to following it), type in ipconfig \release (or \release all)
then, type in the next prompt, ipconfig \renew

Hopefully this helped you

Frank Encruncher

Frickin' Vista
Same problem, router wouldn't connect to the internet
I just go it to work

Try this
Open Network and Sharing
Click on Customize Network
Should open Set Network Location
click on Merge or delete locations at the bottom
Delete all the networks

Then restart everthing
Windows should ask to create a new network when boots

Hope this works for you

Mr. Gruntsworthy

when i try to release my ip, it says 'this operation requires elevation.' what does that mean? :/

and Windows Firewall does seem to be hindering my internet a bit, though with Windows Firewall off, my internet still isn't at 100% of what it should be.

Latest posts