What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Solder Workshop

Bond007

Mr. Friendly

@FreeKnight @Bond007 is Vastar any good? even low end Weller is expensive!

I don't anticipate my soldering ever getting very advanced...mostly wiring leads and connector replacements / updates, so I honestly don't think I need anything too fancy.

Bond007

I don't anticipate my soldering ever getting very advanced...mostly wiring leads and connector replacements / updates, so I honestly don't think I need anything too fancy.
No first hand experience. Only the one friend with a positive opinion of it, and the overall quite positive Amazon reviews.

FreeKnight

There are low end weller units in the $30 range, usually don't have a temperature dial but that's not really critical for what you're doing.

I don't know a thing about the Vastar units, but since amazon's return policy is fairly generous they may be worth a try.

MacJunky

A good soldering iron will be enjoyable to use, last a lifetime, and only need the odd tip or sponge replacement.
I still use an ancient Weller WTCPN because it works well for what I do on the bench. Toss in a couple extra styles of tips and no worries.
For the garage and on the go I use a Weller Portasol P2C-ND, It is a handy little butane unit and makes easy work of PL-259 connectors.

I know it can be hard to justify spending $150-$200 for a soldering station if you don't already know what you are missing out on, but it is worth it.

How is your workshop setup going?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Great been getting my items from Northridge fix for specific items like grinding pens. Proper tweezers, I need a good board holder as well