What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New system: Feedback needed.

Freshke

I will buy a new system (seperate parts) and in the end I want to realize the following:
* Price/Quality
* Mediocre OC capabilities
* Stability
* Optimal game play

Therefore I was thinking at following components:

* PSU:
--> Type: Cooler Master Real Power M520
--> Review: CLICK
--> Price: 69€ / 56£
--> Alternatives: Silverstone Strider (75€/61£); Enermax liberty (99€/80£); Zalman ZM500-HP (89€/72£)

* Motherboard:
--> Type: ASUS P5Q PRO P45
--> Spec Manufacturer: CLICK
--> Price: 119€ / 96£

* Graphic Card:
--> Type: Sapphire HD4870 X2
--> Review: CLICK and CLICK
--> Spec Manufacturer: CLICK
--> Price: 419€ / 339£

* CPU:
--> Type: Intel Core™ 2 Duo E8500
--> Specification Manufacturer: CLICK
--> Price: 169€ / 137£

* Memory:
--> Type: Corsair DIMM 4 GB DDR2-1066 Dominator EPP Kit
--> Price: 109€ / 88£

So... extra questions:
* What the Watt that I need for this system? Will 500 or 550W be enough?
* For the PSU above... do i have the connectors I need? 6 AND an 8 PIN needed probably?
* Motherboard... other suggestions?
* Do I need to change the CPU cooler? If yes... what?
* Other remarks...

Thank for all the help in advance,

enaberif

PSU: Corsair 620hx
Memory: Mushkin
Processor: e8400

Case: subject to personal taste; but 590/690 are good
Optical: I won't buy anything other than Pioneer DVR-216bk

Computergeek

I agree with what enaberif said..

mushkin redlines are awesome memory
also u should check out the antec 900 or 1200 they are awesome gaming cases

Dwayne

I second the recommendation of at least 600W PSU... I have a Corsair TX750 in my current machine and it got good reviews, though it is not modular. For the CPU you have to do a cost/performance check on the e8400 vice the e8500... is the extra .16 GHz really worth the money. Here in Canada you can find the e8400 for around $170 CDN (109) and the e8500 for around $210 CDN. (134) Reading the OC forums the e8400 OCs very well on air so you can probably run it at e8500 speeds on stock cooling without breaking a sweat, and save $40.

I like the MB, I bought the exact same one so it is hard for me to be subjective there. It has good reviews, OCs pretty well from what I have read, and is a good value for the price, about $138 CDN (88) I wonder what your shipping would be if you ordered from Canada?

If you are not going to OC the stock cooler is adaquate. The cost of the after market coolers has dropped with the introduction of the Xigmatec and the OCZ Vendetta 2 though, both very able and inexpensive solutions. There are reviews for both on this website.

geokilla

I second all the other's recommendations.

Also, read the sticky. What's your budget? Are you going to overclock? That's pretty important...

Freshke

I second all the other's recommendations.

Also, read the sticky. What's your budget? Are you going to overclock? That's pretty important...

Budget: For the parts in opening thread I think that 1.000€ (1560 CDN) should be enough to have a good system.

OC: See opening thread. I'm not going to do extensive OC, but some mediocre OC I want to do.

Sticky: Will read after replying all the answers.

I second the recommendation of at least 600W PSU... I have a Corsair TX750 in my current machine and it got good reviews, though it is not modular.

Based on the first feedback I've looked into this. For 109€ (170 CDN) I can get the Corsair CMPSU-620HX.

I'm a bit confused because on another tweaker forum they told me 500-550 Watt would be enough. Any particular reason why you guys advise a 620W?

For the CPU you have to do a cost/performance check on the e8400 vice the e8500... is the extra .16 GHz really worth the money. Here in Canada you can find the e8400 for around $170 CDN (109) and the e8500 for around $210 CDN. (134) Reading the OC forums the e8400 OCs very well on air so you can probably run it at e8500 speeds on stock cooling without breaking a sweat, and save $40.

That's what I had first in mind, but then I read somewhere that the 8400 had some small problems and that they were solved for the 8500.

I like the MB, I bought the exact same one so it is hard for me to be subjective there. It has good reviews, OCs pretty well from what I have read, and is a good value for the price, about $138 CDN (88) I wonder what your shipping would be if you ordered from Canada?

No idea what shipping costs will be... can look into it as the combined sum off all parts maybe can give me some nice reduction.

If you are not going to OC the stock cooler is adaquate. The cost of the after market coolers has dropped with the introduction of the Xigmatec and the OCZ Vendetta 2 though, both very able and inexpensive solutions. There are reviews for both on this website.

I guess it is a good idea to go for the OCZ Vendetta 2 for 39€ (61 CDN) as I'm saving that for the CPU ;)

I agree with what enaberif said..
mushkin redlines are awesome memory

Here I don't follow... never heard of this one (yes, i'm a noob, but please respect the noobs :clap:). Seems that these one are not widly spread in Europe... or am I wrong? (The big stores don't even mention it).

General remarks: I don't need a new case and rest... only the things in opening thread. Nevertheless thanx also for those hints.

enaberif

8400 never had any issues that isn't in the latest 8500 and 8600 chips.

I've owned a 8400 and a 8600 and I can say as per cost the 8400 is still the way to go.. tho I'll know more when I get a new chip wednesday.

Yes you could get away with a 500w power supply but the power supply you listed is considered low grade and the last thing you want is the most major component in your system to fail.

TwystedMonkey

Yes and from what I know it NEVER hurts to have more than you need when it comes to a PSU. The Mushkins are VERY VERY nice RAM but look for sales to save and Pricematch everything to see if you can bring down the price any further. Good luck and an early congrats your going to have an amazing system when your done specially with all the awesome help your going to get from people in here.

Freshke

Yes and from what I know it NEVER hurts to have more than you need when it comes to a PSU. The Mushkins are VERY VERY nice RAM but look for sales to save and Pricematch everything to see if you can bring down the price any further. Good luck and an early congrats your going to have an amazing system when your done specially with all the awesome help your going to get from people in here.

I really appreciate the feedback. As a 'noob' you can read and read, think you're doing the right thing, but still do totally wrong. I'm already happy you guys don't answer with... are you coming from Mars? :whistle:

By the way... sorry for my bad English, but I'm only a stupid Belgian :bananafunky:

Ok, back on topic now...

Based on the feedback here I now decided to go for a 600W PSU and hope that's enough then for this rig.

Concerning the RAM... am searching like hell for references in EU :shok:
Edit: I did some searching... It seems that Mushkin is overpriced according to multiple EU tweaker forums. Brands as Patriot, Corsair have a here a very good reputation.

I checked alsl the QLV list of my mobo: http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/2269/2269_10.pdf
--> My RAM is explicitly supported so I think I'll just take the one I've got now. Don't think that a mediocre OC'er as me will notice the difference compared to the extra bucks i need to pay for Mushkin.

So UPDATE: My rig from opening thread stays the same except for following components:

* PSU: Corsair CMPSU-620HX (109€)
* E8400 Core 2 Duo (149€)
* OCZ Vendetta 2 for 39€ (Replace CPU cooler)
--> Doesn't this mean I don't need a boxed version?

What do you guys think...

Last edited:

enaberif

I really appreciate the feedback. As a 'noob' you can read and read, think you're doing the right thing, but still do totally wrong. I'm already happy you guys don't answer with... are you coming from Mars? :whistle:

By the way... sorry for my bad English, but I'm only a stupid Belgian :bananafunky:

Ok, back on topic now...

Based on the feedback here I now decided to go for a 600W PSU and hope that's enough then for this rig.

Concerning the RAM... am searching like hell for references in EU :shok:
Edit: I did some searching... It seems that Mushkin is overpriced according to multiple EU tweaker forums. Brands as Patriot, Corsair have a here a very good reputation.

I checked alsl the QLV list of my mobo: http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/2269/2269_10.pdf
--> My RAM is explicitly supported so I think I'll just take the one I've got now. Don't think that a mediocre OC'er as me will notice the difference compared to the extra bucks i need to pay for Mushkin.

Patriot memory isn't that great to be honest and I've never had any good luck with it at all and you'll usually pay more locally where I am for Patriot than other good stuff and same applies for Corsair.

Latest posts