What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New to computers, what are your thoughts on this build, change anything?

Dozer028

Hello. Im new to building a computer and hoping for some feedback on any changes or suggestion you may have so all the components work well together. Below is a list of parts i plan to use. Please review and give feedback, thank you.

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor
Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:

Bond007

Most people would go with an AMD build now (so change motherboard and CPU), since it offers more bang for your $ now and is actually competitive/better for most uses. Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X if you go that route.

Otherwise, don't get a 2.5" SSD, get something NVMe based (faster and no wires).

Power supply?

What is your budget and goal for your build?

Dozer028

updated original post to show power supply. My goal for this build is to have a top tier gaming computer than can be used as a home computer as well. I dont want to have to be upgrading parts every few years if i can avoid it. Mainly gaming though. Budget is roughly 2500 or less

gingerbee

I would go ryzen and power supply, this is just me but I always try to go Seasonic PSU. but if it's intel you set on looks pretty good. I can second that SATA drive swapped for a nvme drive

MARSTG

Intel has nothing competitive and balanced these days. That monitor you already have it or plan to buy it ?

Dozer028

Intel has nothing competitive and balanced these days. That monitor you already have it or plan to buy it ?
plan to buy it, waiting for black friday to see if it goes on sale. Not stuck on it so if you have a suggestion, im open. Thanks for the feedback

Last edited:

Dozer028

Ryzen 5 3600X
CM 212
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
32GB GSKIL TRIDENTZ RGB 32GB
Western Digital SN750 1 TB
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB AORUS
Phanteks Eclipse P400 TGE
2300 CAD already
The Intel setup I would look over it would be with the 9600k and it would be 2308.
Thank you for the input but that video card alone is 1K$ and the SSD is about 100$ more than the one i have. thats a liitle more than i want to spend as i need to buy all the components for this build. Im really just wanting to make sure the list of components i have above will work well together or if there are suggestions on how to maximize potential each component is capable of.

MARSTG

Nobody can tell from advance how a specific hardware combination will react once put together, that's the reality of life. In general, "it should just work" but quirks can always happen. In general when we configure new systems we get inspiration from pcpartpicker. You don't specify if you are in CAN or US, that would make a big difference in numbers. You mention wanting a 2560x1440 165 Hz monitor, so I assume you want to get that kind of performance in games, which is kinda a tall order TBH. You also mention GTX 2080 SUPER, the reference version. I put an AORUS model from Gigabyte just to try to minimize conflicts, same brand for mobo and gpu. For my curiously i put together your configuration with the 9700k and just added a Phanteks P350X case and a 80+ Platinum full modular Seasonic 850W PSU, with the Noctua DH15 and is like 1912 USD. Reference 2080 Super is not available in Canada so i substituted with a GB TURBO and the budget jumps to 2700 cad.
Then is the problem of the games : I just looked really quick on the Gears 5 review on Techpowerup and a 9900k with 16 GB of ram ( so you could half your ram quantity ) coupled with a 2080 SUPER is doing 87 FPS at 2560 x 1440 on Ultra details , I mean what's the point running a 2000$ configuration when your hardware in the game barely musters half the performance the monitor is capable of? You need to be honest to yourself and manage your expectations too. BTW a Radeon 5700XT did 76 FPS on the same configuration, just 10% less, and I don't need to tell you the price difference between the 2 cards. You need to do some good research too on the games you want to play, watch the reviews and be realistic in terms of what the hardware could do and what you can expect . And locking in an ecosystem with proprietary solutions, like your proposed G-sync monitor is always, always, a bad idea, especially when you want to change stuff, because , the other team does better all of a sudden. ( Slashing the ram to just 16 GB and going with the 9900k increased the price with just 30 usd ).

Last edited:

MARSTG

For storage I would suggest a small but fast drive for OS duty like 250 GB WD SN750 SSD coupled with a slower larger drive like a 1 TB Crucial P1 for the game installs.