What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New to Mac need some advice

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hey all just got my wife a G5 mac I believe it's a Duel Socket Xeon with 2 Quad core CPUs at 3ghz each. It has no hdds.

thing I'm wondering is can i put any ssd/Hdd in it and how would I go about setting it up as I have snow leopard 10.6.Can I just use the dvd to setup the ssd then upgrade from there? To latest version of Osx since its a Intel based Xeon G5?

It will be used for her music and videos and just playing around with I figured with Octa cores and 12 Gb of ram plus a ssd (850 Pro) that it will be good enough for her massive iTunes Library and surfing net.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
But the ocer in me wants to replace stock fans and dvd with something more recent can it handle a blueray drive?

lowfat

Staff member
OSX has zero bluray support as far as I know.

You can't install Snow Leopard. Leopard 10.5 was the last OS that supported G5s, once again as far as I know.

MacJunky

If it is 3GHz and has Xeon CPUs it is a Mac Pro. The G5 had IBM PowerPC 970 CPUs and topped out at two dual core 2.5GHz CPUs and two single core 2.7GHz.
G5: 2003-2006(actually a late 2005 refresh)
Mac Pro(in tower form-factor) 2006-..whenever the black round one came out, but last refresh in 2012 IIRC.

Did it come with HDD trays? There should be four that insert along the top of the motherboard. As far as maximum supported OS or max drives you would have to better ident the model.
How to identify Mac Pro models
Mac Pro: How to find the serial number

Also, I am pretty sure 10.6 is no longer getting security updates from Apple, and do not remember the latest OS early Mac Pros can run or when the cutoff point was.

From a performance standpoint.... You really need a 2010 Mac Pro to outpace things like 2013/2014 iMacs and MacBook Pros. The latter will also use way less power.
Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
Browse through the 64bit multi core and 64bit single core lists.

Bansaku

Assuming that your Mac Pro is a current Intel Xeon model, and NOT the antiquated PowerMac G5, yes, you can easily install 10.6 Snow Leopard onto an SSD drive via the DVD. After the install, update the system with every update that OS X recommends. Once the OS is updated to 10.6.8, proceed to the App store and download 10.10 Yosemite. It is a free update and takes 10 minutes total time to install/update. After that, enjoy the beast!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Thank you I was hoping it'd support newer osx as it has intel xeons and 12 Gb of ram. But only way to tell is to try I suppose lol.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Not if this helps but it's a lil faster CPU then this one on eBay.

Mac Pro

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Ah I'll have to wait then to figure out bought off eBay waiting for it to come in. Plus gota buy her cinema display and max out ram for her.

Latest posts

Twitter