What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New to Water cooling!

Slaughter

Just to update this a bit... I'm slowly piecing things together..

Bought:

Swiftech MCP350 w/ XSPC Top
EK Multioption 250 Reservoir
HW Labs Black Ice SR-1

Need:
AM3 CPU Block
1/2" Barbs
1/2" Tubing (Clear/Blue UV)
Clamps
Enzotech Mos-C1 Heatsinks
Fans

Hmm.. I thought I was getting closer to being ready for install until I started writing this list. :(

I have a question regarding fans using the rad I purchased. I was looking at the Gentle Typhoon 1850's but they seem to be out everywhere and have been for a while. Would I still achieve a decent amount of performance using a lower RPM fan? How low can I go or what is optimal?

Thanks!

Rasparthe

Your rad is the deciding factor in what type of fans to buy. As far as I have seen the SR-1 were designed for low speed fans with silence in mind. HWLabs has other high RPM rads that perform better than the SR-1 but if you are looking for silence by using lower RPM fans this is a good choice. Go for the lower RPM Gentle Typhoons with that rad I don't know if you would find much difference between them and the 1850s.

vohiep84

Yuppers the SR-1 is designed for lower RPM fans...

I've owned the RX360 which is pretty much designed the same way..

I have used gentle typhoon 1150 RPM's on them and they performed fine while being extremly quiet.

Here is a link for a radiator comparison..

Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

based on the average 10 degree delta chart you can tell that the SR'1 starts losing it's thermal performance againts other radiators at the 1450 RPM mark and above.

P.S. I recently upgraded to the TFC xchanger and am using the Gentle Typhoon 1850's over my 1150's. and there is a noticble sound difference... theres this weird clicking noise but I have gotten use to it.. I am now I am hearing more of the air being pushed..

Last edited:

Slaughter

Thank you!

Just to make sure that I'm clear, an 1150RPM would suffice while remaining fairly silent whereas a 1450RPM would be optimal at the cost of being slightly louder. The 1850RPM would provide a minimal amount of increase at a higher volume.

Sound about right?

dustin1706

Just to make sure that I'm clear, an 1150RPM would suffice while remaining fairly silent whereas a 1450RPM would be optimal at the cost of being slightly louder. The 1850RPM would provide a minimal amount of increase at a higher volume.

Sound about right?

Provided that you are using one of the many rads meant for lower airflow, then yes. Also, not all fans put out the same CFM at the same RPM, but they are similar for the most part.

For optimal airflow with low noise you also need to purchase some quality fans. noctua, scythe gentle typhoon etc...

vohiep84

Thank you!

Sound about right?

Yes thats right.

Gentle typhoons are one of the highly recommended fans for radiators but come at a cost. has good CFM, Static pressure and low noise.

I hear alot of people using Yate Yoons aswell, cheap fans and does the job well.

Slaughter

Perfect! I have had my eye on the Gentle Typhoons I just wasn't sure which ones I would need. :)

Thank you all :)

vohiep84

What model gentle typhoons are you going for? I have some barely used 1150's im not using anymore that I could sell you for a reasonable price. Let me know by PM.

Slaughter

With the plans of going Crossfire with 2x 5770's, I'm leaning towards watercooling as the fans can be quite loud. I have the XFX 5770 XXX Editions with the brick style cooler and I *believe* they are reference boards.

Can anyone recommend a universal block? Or should I go full block?

Thanks!

Latest posts