What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed New toy gallery / benchmarks (Budget HP "Gaming" laptop)

sswilson

Staff member
Super happy with this budget 1080p "gaming" laptop from HP. (HP Pavilion Gaming 15 (AMD 4800H/Nvidia GTX 1650)

laptop full view.jpg

Got it for a steal ($730 bundle with a wireless mouse) but threw in an extra $200 upgrading to 16GB + an additional 500GB mechanical drive. First impressions on the display panel were pretty good.... it's a bit dim, but unlike the one that shipped with my Dell G3 it's not obviously dull and washed out. Added bonus (for me at least) was the discovery of a physical HDD activity LED on the side (I'd have preferred to see it on top, but at least it's there).

back panel off.jpg

SSD blank front.jpg

Removing the back panel to upgrade the memory & add the HDD was very easy. 7 screws and the tabs weren't stupidly hard to pull up. I'm not a laptop wienie by any means so maybe it's common, but I was surprised to see this plastic SSD blanking plate in there, although I suppose having a drive of some form in there is probably integral to the frame.

back panel blanking plate.jpg

back panel blanking plate rear view.jpg

I found this to be a bit weird.... There's a blanking plate over part of the bottom air intake grill. Maybe it's a post-design mod intended to create a bit of airflow over the HDD?

Performance on the GPU is pretty much what I expected, but I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the CPU. I wasn't in the market for a new laptop (only grabbed this one 'cause it was the only way to get my hands on a 1650 class vid card) so I wasn't paying attention to the reviews on the 4800H, but this thing is an 8C/16T beast!!! It's benching above the desktop Ryzen 5 3600 I've been playing with, and not significantly lower than my 8C/16T 3700X (It also blows the i5-8300H in my Dell completely out of the water).

cinebench.png

(PCMark Extended)

(Time Spy with RX 370 on the 3600)

(Firestrike with RX 560 on the 3600)

HP Heaven.png
Dell Heaven.png

HP Valley.png
Dell Valley.png

sswilson

Staff member
Decent price

Yeah... I was in the market for a vid card but this came along and I couldn't resist the deal. Total cost to me after upgrades including shipping/taxes was about $1035. (Now to sell the PC... :) ).

It was originally purchased for a specific use that I thought I needed at least a 1650 for but I tried the 1050ti and it seems to be doing what I need it to do so now I need to decide which laptop I want as my upstairs daily driver. The screen on this isn't as bright as the other one is, but the blacks on this one look significantly better.

Soultribunal

Staff member
We're Twins!!

I love mine too, I was shocked at how far I could push games in setting before I started to dip below 60fps. That CPU is a champ for the cost.

20210326_200341.jpg

sswilson

Staff member
Did you manage to get Afterburner's OC Scanner to work on it? I'm not having any luck and I don't know if it's the new version of AB, newer drivers, or the card itself but I'm getting a "Scan failed to start" error whenever I try to run it.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Did you manage to get Afterburner's OC Scanner to work on it? I'm not having any luck and I don't know if it's the new version of AB, newer drivers, or the card itself but I'm getting a "Scan failed to start" error whenever I try to run it.

No I did not, I'm not sure why either but I didn't devote too much time into it. I can fiddle around with it again on the weekend and see.

-ST

Latest posts