What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new vehicle security sucks

Izerous

Folding Team
Pretty sure most fo them die once they go out of the range of the relays again (after a timed delay) but it would often be enough to still drive it onto the back of flatbed or around the corner and hook it up to something else out of eye sight of the owner.

Entz

For safety reasons they can't die (At least till they are self driving). But they can't be restarted.

So yes, if you range repeat the key or jump into a started vehicle without the key they can get it onto a truck / etc. Not ideal. They really should lock if you start and walk away. The key repeat thing is a bigger issue.

Izerous

Folding Team
I have had it happen 3 times in 2 different cars just with chipped keys. Sometimes they will start you can drive a block then they loose power, the whole time an indicator flashing at you. It isn't new for them to just loose power.

I thought it happened in topgear too but it seemed he stopped on purpose. 3 minute area.

Entz

I have had it happen 3 times in 2 different cars just with chipped keys. Sometimes they will start you can drive a block then they loose power, the whole time an indicator flashing at you. It isn't new for them to just loose power.
Thats insane and will get people killed. You go to turn across 3 lanes of traffic and boom. You just potentially killed 3 cars worth of people.

G

Here the thing though a tumbler lock can be opened in seconds with a couple pieces of wire.
Picking a lock is super easy once you know how, so really what changed? a repeater vs a lockpick.
Hell you can pull a lockset pretty easy if you dont care about damaging shit, then simply reach in and turn the car over.

Izerous

Folding Team
I was gifted a cheap lock pick set... i had the padlock that came with the set open in maybe 2 minutes with a rake. My old shed lock took me about 10 minutes the first try (master lock outdoor higher rated something or rather type lock) and most of that was learning how the different picks felt and how much pressure to give etc. Ater that is was 20 seconds or less on each attempt, a couple as quick as 5 seconds. Someone with more experience knowing what they are doing would get in really quick. More complicated locks I have a hard time with obviously.

My only argument of the description you gave is that the effort required. I'd argue picking the locks actually requires some sort of skill, where using the relays requires almost no skill in comparison as you just need to place two relays in the general vacinity of where the key and the car are.

Dwayne

My 2020 Hyundai has a fob, keyless entry and push button start. I bought Faraday bags to keep the keys in when we get back in the house. I trust no one.

I checked the bags by putting the fobs in them and walked out to the car with the fobs in the bag and tried to unlock the car. The bags worked as advertised. Chances someone tries to steal my car here on the island are pretty low, I feel, but I sleep better at night knowing they can't use a repeater attack to get in.

Shadowmeph

here is the thing if a car can be moved especially if it is worth stealing more then likely it will be driven onto a trailer then move to s shop where they will either take it apart or switch out the computer and the car is shipped out of province or country/ state and resold

Latest posts