What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New WC Case and new to the board

sswilson

Staff member
Does seem a little high for stock (I'm assuming idle), but I'm not an intel dude so I'm not sure.

Great looking rig. (Gonna have to order some more coolant though.... they should ship those kits with two bottles instead of one).

Do you intend on Water Cooling the GPUs as well?

sizerkozak

I bought a 2nd bottle....i knew 1 wasnt enough

Yup im goona cool the HD and both GPU's with the water...once i have the chiller in place

The free version of 3DMark06 results are 8195
Good bad... i dunno ?

Im gonna run the nvidia Ntune overnight...
its supposed to do a bunch of overclocking for you...we will see what it comes up with

sswilson

Staff member
I've used ntune just to see where it got the system and then manually tweaked the bios.

The software bios tweakers have been known to make a mess when you try to reboot..... :)

sizerkozak

I've used ntune just to see where it got the system and then manually tweaked the bios.

The software bios tweakers have been known to make a mess when you try to reboot..... :)

sorry for all the questions but im really tottaly lost here
I used the NVIDIA control panel and ran the fine tunning app that takes aprox 3hrs to complete.
Once this finished it reported:
7% increase to the FSB (cpu bus) 267mhz - 287mhz
12% increase to the pci-e bus 3125mhz - 3525mhz
Before running the Nvidia control panel:
Temp cpu-36, system-36, GPU 63
cpuz reported this
and 3dmark06 was 8195
After running the control panel it reports: (screenshot)
this
and crystalcpuid reports this
3dmark06 is 7787
Temp cpu-38, system-34, GPU 63
This confusses me....why does the ram report back at only (400 MHz) when it is actually 1066 mhz ram ?
is there a better way to get more speeds?
Why did the 3dmark06 drop?

sswilson

Staff member
Best bet now is to turn off the ntune settings (they're probably running at boot) and manually do those settings in bios.

Then see what your benchmarks are.

It could be that ntune pushed something too far, or dropped something down that shouldn't have been dropped.

Does your board have an "AI overclock"? If so then you'd be better off using that to start with (usually it's a percentage) to ensure that the board is stable at higher settings.

Overclocking isn't a quick thing. It normally takes me a couple of weeks to get everything tweaked and tested for stability.

G

Best bet now is to turn off the ntune settings (they're probably running at boot) and manually do those settings in bios.

Then see what your benchmarks are.

It could be that ntune pushed something too far, or dropped something down that shouldn't have been dropped.

Does your board have an "AI overclock"? If so then you'd be better off using that to start with (usually it's a percentage) to ensure that the board is stable at higher settings.

Overclocking isn't a quick thing. It normally takes me a couple of weeks to get everything tweaked and tested for stability.
I agree I OC in my BIOS, I have never got any utility to OC for me with any success.
First off do 1 thing @ a time, I would work your ram first, find your limit of your RAM using Memtest86 or a similar program Make sure it is stable.
Then down clock your ram back to stock and start finding your CPU's max OC, stable, using Prime95 once you have that do a little math to get the best overclock
IE:
Ram MAX - 275
CPU MAX - 3000
3000/275=10.9
so for this equation you would want to use a 11x multi
you will still have to fine tune your OC but thats a good way to start.
The key is to work with one thing at a time if you start ****ing with settings all over the place you are not going to know what went bad.
Once your cpu/ram has a nice stable overclock then Overclock your GFX, I personally like either Powerstrip or rivatuner.

sizerkozak

Ok here is a screen shot of what i have achieved so far...
im running the mem in linked mode
not sure if its good or not

3dMark06 is now at 10764

ocstats.jpg

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, that looks like a pretty decent OC. 3G is where everybody tries to get.... :)

Now for the hard part..... you've got to ensure that it's stable at those speeds.

No use in having a high OC that's going to get you BSODs every time you look at it.... :)

You need to run some stress tests.

3dmark 03 is fairly quick and normally will hang if your system is unstable.

Next would be prime95 (I like to do at least 8 hours to ensure stability) and superpi.

Latest posts