What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New WC Case and new to the board

Babrbarossa

Man! I haven't been following this post for some reason, but wow! what a rig! It looks like a pretty nice oc too. My setup is similar- not nearly as nice- I'm just using air, and a 8800 gts. What kind of ram are you using? is it ocz gold or platinum. You should be able to tighten the timings a little (the 680i seems to default them to 5-5-5-15 try 4-5-4-12) put the voltage to 2.1. With the new bios, memory is suppsoed to be more stable, so you might be able to bring it up to 830-850 MHz, but I don't think you can expect too much from that ram-- I'm surprised with your budget that you didn't grab some 8500 ram.

sizerkozak

Man! I haven't been following this post for some reason, but wow! what a rig! It looks like a pretty nice oc too. My setup is similar- not nearly as nice- I'm just using air, and a 8800 gts. What kind of ram are you using? is it ocz gold or platinum. You should be able to tighten the timings a little (the 680i seems to default them to 5-5-5-15 try 4-5-4-12) put the voltage to 2.1. With the new bios, memory is suppsoed to be more stable, so you might be able to bring it up to 830-850 MHz, but I don't think you can expect too much from that ram-- I'm surprised with your budget that you didn't grab some 8500 ram.

Here is the ram i bought...i figured this was the best ram i could get

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2701646&Sku=O261-8064

I bumped the mem voltage to 2.0 and changed the timmings to what you said...
now how do i bump the mem fsb speeds more?
here is the cpuz shots
cpuz1.jpg
cpuz2.jpg

Last edited:

Babrbarossa

Holy Crap! yeah-- nothing wrong with that ram! You were probably aware of this, but that ram is epp enabled wich means that the 680i can automatically overclock the ram-- is the epp enabled in the bios? if so, what was the ram set at in terms of timings and frequency before you changed them?

hehe-- here i was thinking that you had OCZ gold or platinum 6400

edit: don't be afraid to let that ram have 2.1V-- it's still covered under lifetime warranty at that voltage.

Last edited:

sizerkozak

Holy Crap! yeah-- nothing wrong with that ram! You were probably aware of this, but that ram is epp enabled wich means that the 680i can automatically overclock the ram-- is the epp enabled in the bios? if so, what was the ram set at in terms of timings and frequency before you changed them?

hehe-- here i was thinking that you had OCZ gold or platinum 6400

edit: don't be afraid to let that ram have 2.1V-- it's still covered under lifetime warranty at that voltage.

ok i upped the voltage to a full 2.1v
I cant see any options that say EPP in the bios

I see FSB memory Clock Mode with the options of
AUTO
LINKED
UNLINKED

i have it set to UNLINKED right now

Stock timmings were 5,5,5,15,25,2T

Babrbarossa

yeah-- unlinked is where you want to be-- The epp enabling is called "SLI-Ready Memory" its found in the FSB and memory config. open that menu and you'll find eight choices of selection: the first is 'disabled' followed by a range of vales for CPUOC. select CPUOC MAX-- that'll overclock it for you. I've never done it before so I'm not sure what that'll give you-- let me know what it sets your timings etc at.

Last edited:

sizerkozak

yeah-- unlinked is where you want to be-- The epp enabling is called "SLI-Ready Memory" its found in the FSB and memory config. open that menu and you'll find eight choices of selection: the first is discables followed by a range of vales for CPUOC. select CPUOC MAX-- that'll overclock it for you. I've never done it before so I'm not sure what that'll give you-- let me know what it sets your timings etc at.

Hmmm...well i found what you described...but when i set it to CPUOC MAX i just get that memory error staeady beep...when it does boot up it sets everything back to defaults...no overclocking at all.
So i put it all back where i had it...ill try playing with a few other settings tommorow and see what happens

G

So i put it all back where i had it...ill try playing with a few other settings tommorow and see what happens
I hate this, resetting everything sucks IMO
I liked my old Abit AN7 it saved your BIOS setting, up to five profiles.
Go too high and with a push of the button your back in the game.
More MB's should come with this feature.;)

Babrbarossa

Well-- I just learned that it might be best just to oc the memory manually, here's a link that talks a little bit about epp, and how it isn't exactly magic.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/memory/ocz/PC2-8500SLI/2.htm

turns out that it wont tighten your timings up at all. I guess that'll teach ya for taking advice from a guy who's only been at the overclocking game for about two weeks.

I'm still very interested in your oc efforts-- have you tried upping the memory frequency manually? you have it set at 874 MHz, right? if so it should at least go to its rated 1066 even if you have to revert the timings back to the stock 5-5-5-15. Other peeps feel free to step in and comment-- I'm on shakey ground here as a noob.

sizerkozak

First off id like to thank everyone on this forum that has helped me out over the last few weeks. I came here without any knowledge of overclocking and i think i have come along way...so........
Thanks guys !!!

Some of you may ask why i bothered with such a small cpu...i figured if i was going to fry a proc. then it might as well be one worth $300 instead of one worth $1400.
The next step in my build is to finish the water chiller unit so i can have a completely fan less rig.
Then i can add the 2nd 8800 and the water blocks to the GPU's, HD and ram.
I'm going to wait a couple weeks before i order the new QX6700 (prices are supposed to drop soon i hear)
I'm still awaiting the arrival of the TripleHead2go unit (probable stuck at customs)
Once that's in i will get the three 19" lcd's on the mounting arm up and running (woot...widescreen gamming)
Only thing i cant seem to do is tighten up the memory timing at all
Any changes i make to the timings ends up with errors.
but according to this article at ClubOverclock (Thanks Babrbarossa...great link)
I shouldn't have to worry about leaving it at 5-5-5-15

PS:Steady run with prime95 for 12hrs

Here are a few screen shots of what i have achieved.
CPU-Z RESULTS
3DMARK06
ss.jpg

ssa.jpg

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss7.jpg

Last edited:
G

See now you get to share what you have learned with others.:)

Seriously thats a very nice OC and one superb rig you have.

Care to write up a review on any of those shiny parts?:D

Smart move on waiting for that CPU too.

Man I would love to game that bitch. Especially in SLI / Triple monitors.:cool:

Latest posts