What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New windows 8 tell MS everything you install

JD

Staff member
I grew up on 56K but anything prior was before my time :bleh:

Man, when we got 3Mbps that was simply insane! Now anything less than 1MB/s I would consider slow. I've become so used to 3MB/s for that matter.

As such, none of the "free VPN" or similar services offer any where near those speeds. And I'm not THAT concerned about privacy to start paying for VPN service. And well then that's trackable if you're paying. All your doing is obstruction though, never truly hidden.

ipaine

I was using a 28.8 modem but we only ever seemed to connect at about half that or worse. I remember grabbing things off of with a speed of 8kb/sec. I remember trading things on Hotline which worked great cause I could pause and resume which was necessary at those speeds. Of course I was a bit behind the times since we lived outside of town and as it is my parents still can only use satellite for "high speed".

neptune3d

My experience

I'm not arguing... I just posted the link so people could know how to disable it, or at least check if they have it enabled.

I have the RTM from MSDN and have it running on two machines (Win8 Pro). The privacy settings on Windows 8 by default have smartscreen turned off and IE set to do not track on websites. This is not only scaremongering, but incorrect as well. Windows 8 seems to actually be a step forward for privacy, not backwards; if you do turn on smartscreen than MS will scan the downloaded program to ensure that it is not malware, etc, much like almost all the Anti-Virus programs do (and is expected of them these days).

Latest posts