What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New wireless router options...

JD

Staff member
And if you don't absolutely need your router within UniFi controller, the EdgeRouter X line is really affordable and will do everything you need too. Otherwise, you're shelling out for a USG at the very least, though it's getting a bit old.

That being said, if you can wait...or if you want to try and order from Ubiquti's Early Access Store, it's $299USD. I heard they don't allow shipping to Canada anymore though...

UDM-US-BETA
UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) is the easiest way to introduce UniFi to homes and businesses. UDM includes everything you need for a small scale wired and Wi-Fi network. The smooth user experience and effortless networking will amaze you.
Features
  • High‐Performance Dual Band 802.11ac 4x4 Wave 2 AP
  • Managed 4-Port Gigabit Switch
  • Advanced Security Gateway with IPS and DPI
  • UniFi Network Controller with Intuitive User Interface
  • Scalable Through Additional UniFi Devices Connected to LAN
  • Powered by Fast 1.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor

1568859730386.png

Caldezar

Bleh... I know Ubiquiti is a good product. My issue is spending $450-$600 (depending on your setup) to build it out. But I suppose a good stand-alone router will cost me $250+, so I'm halfway there? But having just bought a house and spent a bunch of money on new stuff already, it's a tough pill to swallow. I've already made some sacrifices on things we 'want' for things we need. I'm going to have to mull it over a bit.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's along the line of what I expected, but it still gives me something to think about.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
As I personally found out you get what you pay for, even more so with WiFi. A 'good' 250 router will work, until you find out it only does 1/4 of what you want it to (as in bad coverage, dropped devices, etc) and then you'll be looking at buying an extender, or a new router, or going to Unifi anyways.

And then your out $250 (or more if you try another half baked add-on 'solution'), and still trying to solve the problem. Wifi isnt worth skimping out on in 2019 in a household of 4+ people, and you can always remind your wife of that once the complaints start rolling in about her shows/pintrest/other junk here "not working properly" and your son is yelling about dying in Fortnite due to 'lag' ;)

Entz

Thats a really good deal IMO since you also get free shipping (vs $8+ for their main store). Cheaper than matching fetchcart at memoryexpress.

Caldezar

OK, so here's the plan. For the moment I'm going to snag a cheap, used router locally just to get my wireless stable again in the house. Then I'm going to plan out my wireless coverage needs, and start by properly laying the cabling for a Ubiquiti setup. Then I'll wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday as that's likely going to be the best purchase time. I can wait two months on standard wifi to save some cash.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Ive got a spare AC-66 and I'm local to you.

They're not worth much on the resale market it appears. You can have it if you want until you figure things out.

Latest posts