What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Newbie Needing a New PSU

Jaded1

OK all, I'm a net surfing newbie from the USA who has recently been getting more into gaming, though I am still by no means hardcore. I want to install an EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti gpu (which I already have) to my HP Pavillion (model p6210y), but I need a new power supply first since what I have is a litepro 300W. Can you reccomend a good 400W-550W psu for me, preferably one under $50?

Is all this even possible with what I have? My old gpu in place is a NVidia Geforce 9100

My specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 620 processor 2.60 Ghz
6.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-Bit

Last edited:

Iceman

You might be able to get away using that same power supply. If you check out the review for the GTX 550 Ti, you'll see that it uses 262 watts at full load, and that's using a Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz, which uses a lot more power than your Athlon II X4 620 processor @ 2.60 Ghz.

Granted you don't want your power supply running continuously at 100% (around 70% would be good), but there should be enough headroom for you to be able to stick with the same power supply.

If it were my system and I was on a limited budget, I would give it a shot. If there were any errors or system instability, then I would spring for a new PSU.

Then again, a new PSU might bring you some peace of mind. The question is whether or not that's worth the $50 to you.

Jaded1

You might be able to get away using that same power supply. If you check out the review for the GTX 550 Ti, you'll see that it uses 262 watts at full load, and that's using a Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz, which uses a lot more power than your Athlon II X4 620 processor @ 2.60 Ghz.

Granted you don't want your power supply running continuously at 100% (around 70% would be good), but there should be enough headroom for you to be able to stick with the same power supply.

If it were my system and I was on a limited budget, I would give it a shot. If there were any errors or system instability, then I would spring for a new PSU.

Then again, a new PSU might bring you some peace of mind. The question is whether or not that's worth the $50 to you.

You really think oit can work? Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll still probably spring for a new PSU sometime in the future, but if I can hold off for a while that would be great.

Bond007

I would not try it on the 300w psu. It may work, but if (or when) it dies it may take multiple components from your computer with it. You should be able to get a very nice 500ish watt power supply during black friday sales for <$50.

A quick look on newegg I would say the best <$50 is Antec Neo eco 400w For $45 with free shipping, but I know you will get a better deal then that if you wait a few more days.

Soultribunal

Staff member
ALthough SIlverstone makes good PSU's that is not one of them.

Get an Antec Eco, or a Corsair builder series 430.

They are always to be found for cheap.

-ST

MARSTG

For me an EVGA GTX 460 worked on an Antec Earth Watts 380 so the GTX550Ti that has only a one 6pin power connector should work fine

Latest posts