What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Newbie Needing a New PSU

Bond007

For me an EVGA GTX 460 worked on an Antec Earth Watts 380 so the GTX550Ti that has only a one 6pin power connector should work fine

But the antec earthwatts is higher quality then some random brand. earthwatts can deliver more than labeled wattage. Random brands usually die before the rated load.

moocow

You should take out the current power supply and measure its 3 sizes. You never know if they use some kind of odd ball size PSU in those pre-build system. Another issue would be cooling as they may just engineer the case with just enough cooling to their specs but nothing more.

Jaded1

You should take out the current power supply and measure its 3 sizes. You never know if they use some kind of odd ball size PSU in those pre-build system. Another issue would be cooling as they may just engineer the case with just enough cooling to their specs but nothing more.

Thanks. I was wondering about this, so I was thinking that a 400W should be a safe option.

moocow

To be honest, if you add another $10 you can get an Antec BP500 from Newegg. Personally, I only use Enermax and Antec but I have RMA those brands before. OCZ is just pain in the ass to deal with in terms of warranty. If they don't bother testing memory before returning it from RMA, they probably don't test the PSU as well.

Jaded1

I have been seeing a number of people, like you, mentioning having to RMA Antec which makes me hesitant to go for it, and yet its the brand most reccomend. The $10 more option seems to be a good choice, but I feel the higher I go with watts the more I would have to worry about cooling for my pc model.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Its probably from the volume of them that go out the door. No need to really worry too much Antec is based off a good platform. And most people who get crappy PSU's the unit will probably survive but the poor regulation will kill off many components in the case.

And it doesn't matter how big the unit is for cooling. It matters how much draw you have. So You could stick a 1000W unit in there and it would run about the same temp as 500W.

-ST

Jaded1

Its probably from the volume of them that go out the door. No need to really worry too much Antec is based off a good platform. And most people who get crappy PSU's the unit will probably survive but the poor regulation will kill off many components in the case.

And it doesn't matter how big the unit is for cooling. It matters how much draw you have. So You could stick a 1000W unit in there and it would run about the same temp as 500W.

-ST

Ooh, good to know. Thanks.

moocow

In regards to cooling, I was talking about the video card you want to install. RMA is not a problem if they send the unit back in good condition. Everything breaks at some point. Last time I RMA an Antec was after a lightning storm, it died despite an APC anti-surge power-bar while my Enermax survived. Right now I'm running about 3 Antec and 2 Enermax and all of them are still in good shape with the oldest unit at least 4 years old.

Jaded1

In regards to cooling, I was talking about the video card you want to install.

That gives food for thought. I know the card is 8.25" x 4.38" which will be snug, but now am wondering if it will be too snug a fit for my mid size ATX case. But I have seen many mentions of people having a gtx 460 installed in the same model.

Latest posts