What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Newegg Leaks Lots of RX 6000 Specs

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
so you're saying someone buys a 6900 XT, thinking it's to compete with the 3090 and then finds out it's only as good as a 3070, will be happy?

I think not...they'd be choked. so AMD has a lot to riding on something named the 6900 XT...

I'm not saying anything close to that. I'm saying that the card will sell if its price/perf is good or better than nvidias equivalent card.

If people think a name for a product means anything, they deserve to be 'choked'. Like where does anything say that a 5700xt is equal to a 2080ti? We all know its not, and nothing out there even implies it would be...I dont understand your thought process here.

Mr. Friendly

But why would they "think it's to compete with the 3090" ? It's been a long time since we've had parity with flagship GPUs, it's the mid range equivalents in Price/Performance that tell the real story IMO.
because it's called a 6nine00...plus the 6800 and 6700...and the 5700 from the last gen was matched against the 2070 and the 5600 XT against the 1660 and 2060.

AMD and Nvidia have always had naming conventions that indicated what it's competition is.

Mr. Friendly

I'm not saying anything close to that. I'm saying that the card will sell if its price/perf is good or better than nvidias equivalent card.

If people think a name for a product means anything, they deserve to be 'choked'. Like where does anything say that a 5700xt is equal to a 2080ti? We all know its not, and nothing out there even implies it would be...I dont understand your thought process here.
really? so someone wouldn't think that a Ryzen 7 is to compete against an i7, or Ryzen 5 against an i5, or Ryzen 3 against an i3, or an Athlon Gold against a Pentium Gold?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
really? so someone wouldn't think that a Ryzen 7 is to compete against an i7, or Ryzen 5 against an i5, or Ryzen 3 against an i3, or an Athlon Gold against a Pentium Gold?

No. I wouldnt. I'd look at the performance. A name is just marketing. If you're buying an i99 over an Ryzen 9 because its a bigger number, then intel already won with its 10900k on 14nm+++++++++.

Just marketing.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Im not making my point clear obviously. No one, anywhere, at any time, said that a x9xx AMD card is equal to a xx90 nvidia card. No one did the same with Ryzen 3 vs Intel i3. We could break this down further by saying a Ryzen 3 3300 vs an intel i3 10300. (Lets not discuss an intel i3 10500 to confuse things further)

While there are similarities, that has always been up to the user to determin. If you listen to the marketing, and 'just buy' a 6900xt because you expect it to perform the same as an nVidia 3090 you've fallen for marketing.

Better yet, what happens if AMD has looked at all of this info about nVidia cards, realised their card doesnt match the 3090, and changes the name to match the market?

Mr. Friendly

Im not making my point clear obviously. No one, anywhere, at any time, said that a x9xx AMD card is equal to a xx90 nvidia card. No one did the same with Ryzen 3 vs Intel i3. We could break this down further by saying a Ryzen 3 3300 vs an intel i3 10300. (Lets not discuss an intel i3 10500 to confuse things further)

While there are similarities, that has always been up to the user to determin. If you listen to the marketing, and 'just buy' a 6900xt because you expect it to perform the same as an nVidia 3090 you've fallen for marketing.

Better yet, what happens if AMD has looked at all of this info about nVidia cards, realised their card doesnt match the 3090, and changes the name to match the market?
appears we agree to disagree. it's only been the last 2 or 3 generations where AMD / Nvidia and AMD / Intel numbering gave an idea of what it's competitor was. to not make a connection that a Ryzen 7 was to go up against the i7, or Ryzen 5 against i5 or Ryzen 3 against i3, is silly.

GPU's are more of a mixed bag, but their RX 5000 matched up against the RTX 2000 numerically...and since the 5700 XT is now known to compete against the 2070, so it's not a super leap to think the 6700 XT will follow the set pattern and be up against the 3070...hence, the 5800 XT against the 3080 and the 6900 XT against the 3090.

and yes, the performance of the part is what proves what it competes against...but there are indicators / clues in how the products are named, which when looking at patters set previously.

and if you followed numerical naming scheme's and thought the top end FX 9300 was to compete against Intel's i7, because it's the very best CPU AMD had...you'd be sorely disappointed and have that sour / bitter taste in your mouth. which is why naming a CPU the 6900 XT could be a double edged sword.

Bond007

I must say that while I get the point you are trying to get across, I am with sagath on this one. I don’t care in the slightest what number, name, Roman numeral, etc a company puts on its product. I only care about how fast it is and how much it costs as the primary points, and heat/ reliability/ power consumption/ extras/ warranty/ etc as secondary.