What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Next 6 months in the SSD market

Mayjaplaya

I just want to know about what's coming up in SSD tech in the next 6 months.

I'm thinking of making some upgrades in the summer (especially to my ancient OCZ Agility 3). The next generation of flash should be here by then; how much faster will SSDs be then than they are now?

Caldezar

Personally, I've found that SSD speeds are a bit of a wash these days unless you're doing extensive file transferring or compression. I know that there are differences, but day to day notability is typically fairly low. I prefer to stick to reliable brands, rather than pure speed.

I don't know any details surrounding what's happening in the SSD market over 6 months, but it's easy to see that the trend is pushing towards larger capacity drives. 500GB and up seems to be the new standard, and 1TB drives are somewhat reasonably priced already. Just find yourself a decent sized, reliable drive and enjoy it.

lowfat

Staff member
For SATA based SSDs? Nope. NGFF is where it is at now. There are already single NGFF SSDs doing over 1000MB read/writes. Unfortunately there are also no desktop boards that fully support NGFF. Looks like we will have to wait for Broadwell / Z97 motherboards to see it.

Twitter