What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No Idea What Happened???

misterlarry

The system in my signature was fine except for one of my old Barracuda HDs stopped working (didn't have time to fudge with it). That was about three weeks ago. Then I went on a week long vacation and everything shut down on the rig properly when I left. When I came back, I tried to power up and could not get any signal to screen. Checked cables and tried a different video cable with no luck.

Everything except my monitor and my USB keyboard appears to be powering up properly but no beeps, no bios screen, no nothing.

Any ideas where to start? Should my onboard video work if my video card is still plugged in or do I have to disconnect everything to start testing? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is the situation that prompted the following upgrade thread.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/69267-upgrade-system-time-again.html

JD

Staff member
I don't see how the CMOS battery would prevent POST...

I've powered on machines with no battery before, it just won't save your settings if you pull the power cable.

misterlarry

Did you attempt a cmos reset?

No. I have not tried it yet. The MB has a CMOS reset button on the rear of the MB (outside of the case). I'll check the manual to see if I can find a solution. Thanks sswilson and everyone else.

If needed, where could I find a CMOS battery?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MacJunky

They are almost always CR2032, you can get them at pretty much any place that sell batteries such as hardware stores, general stores, stationary stores, etc.
They typically last a really long time though, and as JD said, you can run a motherboard without one.

AkG

Personally after doing the basic step like clear cmos and checking cables (something may have worked loose). I would yank the pus and try with a known good. Could be as simple as the system got hit by a strong surge while you were gone....or after being off for a while the PSU that was on the cusp of dieing...died when you tried to power back on...as it sounds like only a smidgen of power is getting through to the rig. Of course could be something really stupid, but clear cmos, check all power cables, look for scorch marks, use different 120 wall outlet, change psu. THEN if that doesnt work its detective dee time.

Good luck!

KaptCrunch

They are almost always CR2032, you can get them at pretty much any place that sell batteries such as hardware stores, general stores, stationary stores, etc.
They typically last a really long time though, and as JD said, you can run a motherboard without one.

provided n0 power loss to PSU will keep cmos settings

misterlarry

After doing some further research, it appears that the "45" shown on the Dr. DeBug LED has something to do with RAM. Will try some different configurations when I get home to see if I can get a POST or not.

Latest posts