What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

no option to discuss HWC reviews?

Mr. Friendly

the reviews don't allow for posts...and unless I'm blind (which is close to the truth) I'm not seeing a forum for discussing the HWC reviews that go up.

can we get this function? :)

Bond007

We all asked for something..... anything.... to tie HWC reviews to the forums. We got nothing.

Sad, but the forum has been de-linked from everything review based.

I would still love for something to be integrated, but I no longer have hope it will happen.

The only way you can discuss now is if you first make a thread yourself that the review exists.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
To be blunt there's very litte income stream from the forums, if any. As far as I can tell, most of the paid staff's efforts focus on the income-producing Youtube channel where you CAN post comments. I'm glad that the writeups for the video reviews do show up here eventually, but the days of the written review being the main focus of editorial efforts are long gone.

Supergrover

And I simply hate watching videos for reviews, let alone use youtube.

no thank you, i will pass.

too bad for the member base. it is us all that made this site happen over 12 years. nice payback.
I honestly have never watched a HWC vid/review to finish.

Not my cup of tea and why I prob only use youtube for tutorial vids if I need direction in something.

Entz

I like the videos :confused: I have gotten used to them over time and it’s nice to see more faces on a regular basis (Mike). I find the ad ridden websites with auto playing videos far worse these days. My god disable PiHole and it’s like an 3 blocks of ads every paragraph. So if that is the alternative forget it... videos are better imo (And better for the creators as most disable ads these days)

a way of discussing them instead of YouTube comments or social media 🤮 would be nice though, even if it’s a bot that links them.

Bond007

To be blunt there's very litte income stream from the forums, if any. As far as I can tell, most of the paid staff's efforts focus on the income-producing Youtube channel where you CAN post comments. I'm glad that the writeups for the video reviews do show up here eventually, but the days of the written review being the main focus of editorial efforts are long gone.
a way of discussing them instead of YouTube comments or social media 🤮 would be nice though, even if it’s a bot that links them.

I fully understand that the $ rules the world, and that youtube, videos, social media, etc is the only way to get that for reviews now. As much as I prefer written reviews for most (not all) components, I accept that we have moved away from that.

That said, I still think we are missing an opportunity to make those here happier, and bring more people in. When a new review is posted anywhere, it would be as simple as making a thread in the forum with the title of the video as the name of the thread, and a link to the video in the body (embeded or not)...nothing else required. Then a line in the description of the youtube video linking to that thread for anyone wanting to discuss. It would literally be 20 seconds of work at most.

FreeKnight

I fully understand that the $ rules the world, and that youtube, videos, social media, etc is the only way to get that for reviews now. As much as I prefer written reviews for most (not all) components, I accept that we have moved away from that.

That said, I still think we are missing an opportunity to make those here happier, and bring more people in. When a new review is posted anywhere, it would be as simple as making a thread in the forum with the title of the video as the name of the thread, and a link to the video in the body (embeded or not)...nothing else required. Then a line in the description of the youtube video linking to that thread for anyone wanting to discuss. It would literally be 20 seconds of work at most.
A few times there's been one of us to create a review discussion thread in the past, I know I've done it, but with written reviews having been unlisted on the site for so long I just kind of became unaware of what reviews were being done and I don't think anyone's done it in a while.

The site at least does write ups now, and links them on the font page, so it's still a lot more content than we were getting in the past, so I'm tempted not to complain too much. That being said, HWC feels a lot less like a review site/company anymore anyway TBH. AkG was let go/left, and while we'll still see some reviews for the big items, it really feels like they're focus is cases, phones and peripherals now. Detailed tech reviews are a rare occurrence here now. I can't even remember the last reviews for RAM, non-AIO cooler, PSU, etc.

I suppose we could always just start posting reviews we find across the web in the forums, but I've just kind of accepted the current state of HWC and stopped pining for 'ye olden days'

Mr. Friendly

to the staff...is it possible for you to add a link at the bottom of the review to a thread if we make one for the product reviewed? that way it invites others who are checking out the review to contribute. perhaps post it on the video description on YouTube as well?