What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No video display after switching out RAM

GregH

Hey all,

I just went to install the new RAM kits I bought from jibz (thanks man!) but in order to install them I had to remove the hyper 212+ I'd installed a couple of weeks ago (blocking a RAM slot)
When I went to pull that off it came off alright...along with the CPU that was stuck to it.

I've tried reseating the cpu (x2 550) but I noticed there are a couple bent pins on it - does that matter?

When I get everything put back together everything powers on OK but there's no display on the screen. I had the exact same issue when I first built the machine & found it was due to an improperly seated cpu.
I reinstalled the video card just in case but it made no difference.

So I'm at a loss as to what else it could be. I suspect it's the cpu that's not seated correctly, but I've reseated it 7-8 times & it makes no difference. Would those couple of bent pins be the problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Absolutely. All pins must be straight, and fit in the proper holes in the socket.

Shadowmeph

a simmillar thing happened to myself and I had to straighten out the pins using a pencil pen without any lead in it, it was tricky for myself becasue my eyes are not the greatest ut I was able to straighten out 6 bent pins

GregH

Well I got the pins straightened out in the cpu seems to be sitting OK but I'm still not seeing any picture.
Reinstalled the MB & all cards too but no difference.
Even tried the old RAM but it still no go.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Silent_Avenger

Are you sure you aren't missing any pins now after being bent and seated into the socket? Also in the future when taking a cpu cooler off give it a bit of a twist back and fourth should loosen the thermal paste so that it doesn't pull the cpu out too.

GregH

Are you sure you aren't missing any pins now after being bent and seated into the socket? Also in the future when taking a cpu cooler off give it a bit of a twist back and fourth should loosen the thermal paste so that it doesn't pull the cpu out too.

Checked that & everything looks OK. Thanks for the twisting tip though - will do that next time I need to remove the heatsink

Silent_Avenger

Yea thermal paste depending on which type can pretty much act like glue if you pull straight up without twisting first. Do you get any beep codes from the motherboard?

Silent_Avenger

If you get no beeps from the motherboard speaker that usually means it's dead. double check all your connections just in case.

Edit: Did you have the 212 installed so it's blowing air up?

Last edited:

Latest posts