What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

No video output after upgrading HDD

mjin12

Hi all, so I upgraded my HDD today from 250GB to 1TB WD Caviar Black. Started to install Windows 7 and I noticed that my desktop would turn off every 2 mins or so. Checked the CPU temperature and noticed it was at 93 C/ 199 F. Reinstalled the heatsink and it looks to be making more contact now as it wasnt when I opened it.

Put it all back together and now I do not get any video output on my monitor. No beeps, no shutdowns, no video. All fans are working, even on the GPU. Mobo light is on, everything was working fine before I installed the HDD. Swapped the video card with an older one I had and still no video. RAM is new, less than 2 months and it was working fine prior. Put my old HDD back in and tested that and still nothing. There is no onboard video either so I can only go through the GPU. The only thing I did was replace the HDD and correct the heatsink at the beginning.

Any help would be great.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
ASUS P5K/EPU
Radeon HD 4890 OC edition
8GB Corsair Dominator
WD 1TB Caviar Black
TX750W Corsair

Last edited:

1tym

When you reinstalled the heatsink did you put new thermal paste on? If not you will need to clean the cpu and heatsink with a cloth and isopropyl alcohol to remove the old paste and apply new paste. Also are you using the stock cooler or a custom cooler? If stock Intel pushpins are sometimes difficult to engage. It's always best to remove the mobo from case and make sure each pin has gone through the holes to ensure good contact

mo' power

CMOS reset should be your first step. You should be able to post. Did your os installation get botched during the shutdowns?

LarkStarr

CMOS reset indeed. pop the battery out for a good while.

try to start to system with bare minimums -> 1 stick of ram, 1 HDD, no optical. reseat everything (even CPU). swap out with spare parts if needed.

mjin12

I reseated the heatsink with the motherboard out of the chassis and the pins did go through. I also tried different video cards, ram, cpu, hdd. Pretty much everything I had before my upgrades. The only things I haven't swapped are the PSU and the Mobo. I'll check resetting the CMOS tonight see if that helps.

Last edited:

1tym

does your case have a speaker? Try booting without any sticks of RAM you should be hearing beeps and if there are no beeps the mobo may be the problem. Also try booting with 1 stick of RAM at a time