What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm fan

M

Misoprostol

Yeah these fans are awesome for situations where they are just moving air around and not pulling it through anything. I don't recommend them for water cooling though.

lowfat

Staff member
Ya on a rad they are horrible. I have one of those fans laying around here someone, I honestly prefer my Yate Loon/Nexus fans.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
What exactly is wrong with the Noctuas on a W/C setup? With the resistors in place they are dead quiet...:ph34r:

SKYMTL

Staff member
Treat me a a WC noob. What in the world do you mean by "torque issue"?

S|nApSE

Well, torque is a measurement of the twisting force and the more you have the more suction the fan will generate in denser mediums. For example, if you were opening up a particularily stuck on lid on a jar of pickles, you'd need a lot of torque to open it up. I'm not sure that it really matters for air unless you're attempting to yank air out of small crevasses or a maze of radiator fins. Air is restricted by friction.

SKYMTL

Staff member
Yeah, I know what torque means....I just don't understand it in relation to a w/c rad.

Babrbarossa

I'll give it a shot (I'm a water cooling noob, but this is what I've understood)- Some fans can move lots of air, but when they encounter the additional resistance of radiator fins, their efficacy drops off significantly. For water cooling systems, fans with more fin surface area and steeper fin angles can provide extra push to the air, while not necessarily moving more air when unimpeded- much like the different props used on planes and boats- there are different configurations for different conditions and purposes.

The fans I just ordered are 38mm thick as opposed to the standard 20mm, and as far as I know, are better for radiators.

Last edited: