What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Noctua NH-U12P with 5800X

moocow

So I swap out my 1600AF to a 5800X last night and noticed my system's fans are spinning a lot more than before. That's not unusual since the 5800X is probably a lot hotter chip than the 1600AF. The question is should I upgrade my cooling as well since the NH-U12P only got 4 heatpipes and a 120mm fan (using an Arctic Cooling static pressure PWM). Or see if I can mount a 2nd fan for a push pull config.

lowfat

Staff member
Don't suppose you used my PBO2 curve settings I posted in the BST? I don't think another air cooler will help much TBH. Could also try ECO Mode which will limit it to 65W. Which wouldn't affect gaming, just multi-threaded work.

moocow

To be honest, I don't know how to use any of those settings, I usually just leave everything on defaults and just use it as is.

So my typical workload is just firing up Civ 5 and have Youtube + a dozen tabs open in Firefox. The temps doesn't look bad, just the fans are louder (spin faster) than before using the Standard PWM profile in BIOS.

1666472440958.png

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
To be honest, I don't know how to use any of those settings, I usually just leave everything on defaults and just use it as is.

So my typical workload is just firing up Civ 5 and have Youtube + a dozen tabs open in Firefox. The temps doesn't look bad, just the fans are louder (spin faster) than before using the Standard PWM profile in BIOS.
The Curve Optimizer undervolts the CPU to allow it more thermal headroom to reach higher clocks.

In bios, advanced, AMD overclocking, Precision Boost Overdrive, Curve Optimizer.

I made sure it was 24hr Prime95 stable afterward for each / all core workloads. Worked great for the 1.5 years I had it set. Just plug those values from my screenshots in. Did all that testing on an air cooler too.

Bond007

Absolutely nothing wrong with 66 deg. You could lower the fan curve to lower noise, but increase temps…or you could replace the cooler…or undervolt the cpu to try to reduce thermal load.

moocow

I might have to learn a bit about power curve and undervolting. It's loud under turbo profile in BIOS but in Standard it isn't too bad but I never liked the fans ramping up and down during gaming.

Solace

You will notice minimal gains getting a more advanced cooler, I would check the airflow as with the fractal 7 i had to replace the top cover and add some front facing fans to increase airflow to stop peaking at 90c of which under full load in most situations is 80s now. Switching to water or something else will not yield significant gains unless you delid the cpu based on benchmarks.

These all run hot and you just need to accept that.

I also abandoned curve optimizer as there is no accurate testing methodology that exists at the moment and you will experience stability issues in most cases because of the design has variance for each stepping which cannot be adjusted or set to static. It is just a stupid ass offset which applies to every stepping interval. IF you can get it 100% stable it has quite the benifits, like 10-15c difference in temps and higher/more stable boost clocks. The gains for time:effort are drastically disproportional from my perspective (I just wanted a silent build thus lower temp/fanspeeds).

moocow

Well I need a more graphics intensive game to really know if it's a problem, then again I'm not interested in any of those games at the moment. I'm using a Corsair 4000D Mesh with 2 intake front and 1 exhaust rear.

Latest posts