What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Noctua Talks Black Fans & Coolers

sswilson

Staff member
I'd say its sad that they're giving into market pressure, hopefully it doesn't mean the quality of their products (and included accessories) declines. Every Noctua product I've bought has always been a "wow" experience when unboxing. Beautifully packaged (albeit a tad wasteful) and having all the voltage step-down adapters and extension cables included has meant I've never had to buy such things. I can't say that about any other fan or heatsink I've bought.

They have a fairly iconic brand today, one quick glance and you know it's Noctua. Moving to black means they just become another generic fan or heatsink. They'll definitely be losing out on free marketing now and will have to advertise, get sponsored reviews, etc.

This X10! Premium quality, premium product, and immediately identifiable.

Vittra

I don't see anything that's changed here. New designs are released in their traditional colour scheme for brand recognition, and later on they release different colour variants, typically grey or black labelled "redux" or "chromax" respectively. The NH-D15S, U9S, and even the newer U12A have been out for awhile now, as has the NF-A12x25.

There's no real reason to see this change, new coolers coming out in 2021 (if they do) will likely be once again first in the traditional colour scheme.

Mr. Friendly

I don't see anything that's changed here. New designs are released in their traditional colour scheme for brand recognition, and later on they release different colour variants, typically grey or black labelled "redux" or "chromax" respectively. The NH-D15S, U9S, and even the newer U12A have been out for awhile now, as has the NF-A12x25.

There's no real reason to see this change, new coolers coming out in 2021 (if they do) will likely be once again first in the traditional colour scheme.
did you read the article? 2021 is the launch date of their new all black options.

Izerous

Folding Team
I was never tempted to re-color the NF-F12s, it is actually amazing how many videos and tricks there are out there to attempt to recolor the fans. I remember there was even an outcry about how the brown and beige was off color when some of the production was outsourced and the color was a little off by the out sourced production facility.

Vittra

did you read the article? 2021 is the launch date of their new all black options.
I said NEW coolers. Black versions of existing coolers are not NEW coolers. The article makes NO MENTION of NEW coolers getting Chromax (Black) /Redux editions at launch.

Noctua has already pushed the D15 replacement before, so we will see if it truly comes out 2021.

Mr. Friendly

I said NEW coolers. Black versions of existing coolers are not NEW coolers. The article makes NO MENTION of NEW coolers getting Chromax (Black) /Redux editions at launch.

Noctua has already pushed the D15 replacement before, so we will see if it truly comes out 2021.
well..technically we're both right. it's a NEW variant...but not a NEW design, which you were meaning. I bow to your interpretation though. ;)

chrisk

Folding Captain
still waiting for you to present a better theory... ;) LoL! ;)
My theory is that the old fart in charge who designed the original fans which sat in the beige ATX cases (which said old fart still uses) finally retired and let someone else take over. They tossed the old beige case out thee window and started sourcing some black plastic asap.

Latest posts

Twitter