What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Noctua U14S not compatible with MSI Z87 G45?

Messerschmitt

So after installing the U14S, the fan is touching the 1st RAM heatsink. Isn't the U14S suppose to be compatible? Am I doing something wrong? If I try to squeeze the ram, it is visibly pushed (the space between the 1st and 2nd is smaller than the space between 2-3-4th ram)

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

If I move the fan upwards so that the fan is just above the DIMM, it sticks way to much and cannot close the case. As is, it barely has clearance for the side pannel

crowTrobot

EDIT: Made a typo, typed 5mm instead of 1.5mm
Yeah not on MSI boards. I have no idea why Noctua marked it as compatible on their site. Most
motherboards leave an additional ~1.5mm gap between the CPU socket and the first DIMM slot for clearance, for example this ASUS Z87 Gene:
b6.jpg

Combined with thicker RAM heatspreaders and the fact that MSI boards have the "standard" distance with the DIMM slot and the CPU, it won't fit, or if it does it will be pushing against it like your setup: (Dominator Platinum on MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX)
b7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts