NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects
People wanted more detailed questions, so here we go. I found some of the questions redundant though, hence why I was reluctant to update it.I would like to see either a slight modification or some 'descriptions' added to help guide people posting with this format.
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?
9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?
10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.
I find that I'm constantly asking for more when people use this 'pre-built' Q&A and they aren't putting much thought into each category and understanding why we ask. If someone would be willing to make some update, I would much appreciate this as it would really help everyone.