What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell

geokilla

NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects

I would like to see either a slight modification or some 'descriptions' added to help guide people posting with this format.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-This question should not only be what you're using, but the performance you want in these tasks. i.e. you want everything to load fast, or apply filters/encoding real fast or you just need it to work, even if it takes a bit longer. Do you want to multi-task and run lots of things at once? What will you usually run at the same time?

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-Does this include taxes, shipping, extended warranty coverage, etc. What isn't included in your budget and you have a separate budget for?

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-If you have, what conclusions have you drawn so far. If you haven't, why not (maybe just intimidating)?

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-If you plan to over-clock, what are your expectations and current experience level? What do you want your experience level to be after you finish your over-clock?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Have you bought any parts yet, when are you starting to buy parts and when do you want to physically be putting it together?

9. What resolution and settings do you use?
-If this is for gaming, tell us what resolution and the settings you wish to have in games (max everything, high, medium, or low). Do you turn AA on and do you care about gaming technology with PhysX, CUDA, eyfinity, 3D, etc?

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
-Is there something you don't want to go without? USB 3.0 support, wifi n, SSD (solid state drives), blu-ray support, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, Super quiet case (low noise system), all-in-one memory card reader, specific front panel support? Those are just a few examples. If you aren't sure, but know you want to have 'the latest and greatest support' then just say so.

I find that I'm constantly asking for more when people use this 'pre-built' Q&A and they aren't putting much thought into each category and understanding why we ask. If someone would be willing to make some update, I would much appreciate this as it would really help everyone.

People wanted more detailed questions, so here we go. I found some of the questions redundant though, hence why I was reluctant to update it.

Last edited:

CTA

hmmm... sounds fun.. i will be first person to ask... and please dont look at my signature

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

game, internet, excel, photoshop, imageviewer and media player

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

1500... cheaper if possible

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

local... ncix would be nice... useless the price is very awesome... never like brokerage fee or hidden fee...

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

intel for cpu is MUST and nvidia for video card is prefer...

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

no

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

uh um... yes... i am not sure what this means... post links that i read? if so then it would be LOTS...

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

yes i want... for game and performance...

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

soon as i can...

just want to compare to my list...

BALISTX

This is a great idea, but you should make it clear for people not to post their questions in here about the new system they want to build but to start their own thread. Just to use this as a guideline.

geokilla

This is a great idea, but you should make it clear for people not to post their questions in here about the new system they want to build but to start their own thread. Just to use this as a guideline.

Ditto. Edited first post.

Can this be stickied? It's really helpful. It was really helpful in the AnandTech forums.

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
Excellent idea. Stickied.:thumb:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Hmm. Copy / pasted again from Anandtech.

It's fine if a new builder comes around and sees the sticky. But you know what? A new thread with very little information tells me a lot too: that member does not know much about computers and may be very happy with a low-end rig. If I sense that the member wants more that an entry-level rig, it's very important to explain clearly every detail about the chosen parts and the assembly process.

geokilla

Before you start hating, Blain said it's fine.

Imo, these questions help a lot. Some people come in with little knowledge and just ask the forum members to build them a good computer for $$. Granted I'm more than happy to do that if I have time, but sometimes, we need to know these information. You're not gonna throw in a $40 CPU cooler if you're not going to overclock, unless that person wants their build to be nice and cool of course.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I will make the same statement for both of your copied / pasted threads: if only you created both threads using your own words, and specifying that you saw a similar thread over at AnandTech, I would have been more lenient. But you didn't.

Latest posts