What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Now I Want to SKIP Zen 4... Zen 5 is a Game Changer!

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team

Let’s get started with Nvidia. Earlier this year, around CES, there was this rumor that Nvidia would sort of re-launch the RTX 2060 series of GPUs. Essentially, they would just kick production back up with TSMC.

This made sense since production on the RTX 30 series of GPUs was already pretty tight and of course, the demand was through the roof. If they had extra GPUs , even last-gen ones to sell… They would fly off the shelf, and since the 2000 series of GPUs were made with a larger 12nm process, then there would be no problems for TSMC to allocate some resources to that.

Next up we got AMD, And wow, this is some interesting information. It’s a little far out since it talks about tech that AMD isnt planning to implement for a while but still very interesting.

So, we know that Big.little is the now and the near future right? I mean intel is going all-in with that at the end of this year slash the start of next year with their Alder lake generation, and of course, most ARM processors nowadays feature something similar.

Well, AMD is supposed to join the fray with their Zen 5 generation using Zen 5 cores as the big cores and Zen4D cores for the little ones. And now we have a patent that seems to explain a little more about how these will work.

Solace

So mobile phone tech coming to desktops... Aside from mobile devices no one will care desktop wise unless this allows for significant price cuts on the newer gen. It would be nice to see a cheaper hybrid chip just offer a stronger X set of cores to game on and secondary chip to aid in other tasks given most games only allocate 4-6 threads in most cases.

Might be a huge game changer for laptops and power consumption but then again TDP for some of these devices is already quite low these days.

Bond007

hmmm. Kind of a bold title for not really knowing anything about performance at all.

News flash: CPUs in 2 generations from now will be better than the next generation.

It really could help mobile chips, but I am still not really convinced for desktop benefits.

Lysrin

hmmm. Kind of a bold title for not really knowing anything about performance at all.

News flash: CPUs in 2 generations from now will be better than the next generation.

It really could help mobile chips, but I am still not really convinced for desktop benefits.
Yeah I was little put off by the title this time too. "Is a game changer" seems a little premature at this point.

FreeKnight

Yeah I was little put off by the title this time too. "Is a game changer" seems a little premature at this point.
It's typical of Boot sequence. I'm pretty turned off by it and it feels like it's the weakest link in HWC's youtube presence. I'm sure it's intentional as 'it gets the clicks', but it's just too 'Linus-y' or clickbait-y for me to bother now.

Lysrin

I did find the chip manufacture water related video to be an interesting one though.

Bond007

It's typical of Boot sequence. I'm pretty turned off by it and it feels like it's the weakest link in HWC's youtube presence. I'm sure it's intentional as 'it gets the clicks', but it's just too 'Linus-y' or clickbait-y for me to bother now.
Agree, it's not my thing either. If it brings in views/money, I get why it exists...but I am happy it is separated from other HWC content.

Izerous

Folding Team
There is one place outside of the mobile market place that I think will benefit from Big/Little. I don't think the standard gaming desktop matters but I was thinking maybe a Giant office. Say you have 300 computers in a office, mix the dreaded ATX12VO + Big/Little CPU and it could be possible to make a actual measurable dent in overall power usage.

I wonder if we will start to see 12V monitors the plug into a PSU instead of having thier own power adapters at this rate.